Author Topic: MSN protocol  (Read 53903 times)

Offline leecher

Re: MSN protocol
« Reply #30 on: 31 05 2015, 09:55:11 »
Hi,

Thanks for the input.
Beck Yang: I now removed obsolete stuff like setting Nickname which doesn't work anymore in new protocol (you need to do this via the Profile page in browser now)
Tomaso: I now corrected startup to set the desired status.

Regarding mail counter: I never managed to receive a MSGR\HOTMAIL notification which would be required to receive such information. I suspect that pretending to be a Skype client prevents the server to send such notifications. The problem is that I don't even receive such notifications in outlook.com whereas other users seem to get them there (but not on Skype), therefore it's a bit hard for me to test. Maybe M$ will implement it in one of their next Skype versions, then we have a chance to catch such messages too.

Both changes should take effect on next nightly build.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #31 on: 31 05 2015, 10:31:52 »
Tomaso: I now corrected startup to set the desired status.

Great! :)

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #32 on: 03 06 2015, 14:36:38 »
Both changes should take effect on next nightly build.
I downloaded the latest MSN build right now, and indeed the problem with the startup status is fixed! :)
However, you forgot to change the version number, which is still v0.12.1.1.
This seems to be a problem with a lot of Miranda NG plugins.
Unlike Miranda IM's pages, Miranda NG's download page provides absolutely no information regarding the version numbers of the different plugins..
So, I download a zip file and check the properties of the DLL file..
If the version number is the same, it's only natural to assume that the plugin hasn't been updated.
..but, like with the MSN protocol just now, this isn't always the case.
The lack of version information makes it very hard for people like me, that doesn't use the PluginUpdater, to keep track of the updates!

Offline Robyer

« Reply #33 on: 03 06 2015, 19:10:40 »
Tomaso, that's the problem of not using Plugin Updater with development builds. There are many different changes every day along with new build. Imagine every change will raise the build number - we would run out of numbers soon  :D

You should use Plugin Updater - why not?

Alternative would be watching the tracker (e.g. via RSS channels) for new commits and based on that determine if something was changed / is worth updating. We can't do the proper versioning when we are releasing new builds every day.
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #34 on: 03 06 2015, 20:46:59 »
You should use Plugin Updater - why not?
I just tried it for STABLE builds only, cuz the only development build that I'm currently running is MSN.
It reported new builds for most of my plugins, so I re-downloaded the ones that it listed..
All of them had the same version numbers as the old ones.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #35 on: 03 06 2015, 21:48:00 »
Tomaso, I don't know if I understand you. But to sumarize:

1) You shouldn't mix stable and development versions of core/plugins together.
2) Version numbers doesn't matter at all. Plugin Updater computes and compares the hash of content of file.
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #36 on: 04 06 2015, 14:03:10 »
You shouldn't mix stable and development versions of core/plugins together.
I only use stable builds, but I had to make an exception for MSN, since the stable build doesn't work anymore.
The development build seems to work just fine under v0.95.4. :)

--

Version numbers doesn't matter at all. Plugin Updater computes and compares the hash of content of file.
So why use version numbering then?
Might just as well remove it, to avoid confusion.

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
« Reply #37 on: 04 06 2015, 14:44:19 »
generally, version numbers will be increased if there are significant changes. It's often simply forgotten by the executing person...

And "a lot" of current changes to Miranda NG are API changes and other code style changes... Normally you wouldn't see a new "release" if it were a Miranda IM plugin as those changes are mostly internal and don't really change the output.
Ok for API changes you would normally see a new build.. or at least if it's an incompatible change as it is for NG (IM rarely had them)
So when you see a whole bunch of updates, they are mostly caused by an API header change... For example when I change or add a comment to "m_core.h", all plugins will rebuild and thus trigger an update, even though nothing changed. So the version number shouldn't increase ;)

Besides the above, Miranda NG does have some managing issues as well... For my own projects, I'm using an automated version incremental system... every build I compile increases the version/revision (or in case of my Git / SVN hosted projects, every commit does, not "tries")
But since all plugins are hosted in one big fat repository here, such systems don't really work that good... well we could create one, one that only counts commits for a given path / plugin, but that might require us to switch to Git or a Linux based build server^^

So let's just hope we won't forget (or forget less) to increase our version numbers ;)

edit: hmm.. now that I think of it, a "comment" change might cause a rebuild, but shouldn't cause the resulting executable to change... unless the compiler got crazy and goes a different way to do the same thing xD So those updated builds might be limited to API changes that change the way a function is called for example. Which again doesn't really change what the program does, so still no real need to increment the version.
« Last Edit: 04 06 2015, 14:51:37 by White-Tiger »

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #38 on: 04 06 2015, 15:15:09 »
Thanks very much for your thorough explanation, White-Tiger! :)

I just hope that some of the plugins that I use will get some fixes that matters soon, because they're really buggy compared to their Miranda IM counterparts.
Of course, I understand that this is because they're built on old source codes, but it should still be possible to get them to work properly.

Offline leecher

« Reply #39 on: 04 06 2015, 15:24:12 »
Hm, I always thought that I should only increase version numbering on Stable builds as those are the ones consumed by the normal end users and it doesn't matter in development tree as there are constant changes in it anyway and these plugins are only considered experimental.

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #40 on: 04 06 2015, 20:44:32 »
New bug:
(MSN dev:Jun.04.2015 / MirNG v0.95.4 x64)

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #41 on: 04 06 2015, 21:07:53 »
1) You shouldn't mix stable and development versions of core/plugins together.

The development build seems to work just fine under v0.95.4. :)

New bug: Avatars doesn't work anymore. (MSN dev:Jun.04.2015 / MirNG v0.95.4 x64)
And appearently they dont work "just fine", do you get it now?  :PUNISH:
Please DO NOT post any "bugs" if you don't update everything to the latest development version.
If you don't, all your "bug reports" will be silently ignored.

You may use for yourself whatever you want, but do not make "bug reports" with incompatible versions.

I knew this would happen because they are incompatible. Didn't tell you because you would know it better what is compatible then the developers anyways...
« Last Edit: 04 06 2015, 21:14:39 by Wishmaster »

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #42 on: 04 06 2015, 21:30:50 »
appearently they dont work "just fine", do you get it now?
No need to shout.
I just forgot to add the question mark after "New bug".
Just tried it with MirNG dev.v0.95.5 now, and you're right, avatars DOES work!
I suspected as much myself, that's why I specified in my post which MirNG version I was using.
The reason that I asked was that avatars DID work with the previous MSN dev. + MirNG v0.95.4.
..and I just noticed that they didn't anymore.
No big deal though, as the important functions still work. :)

Didn't tell you because you would know it better what is compatible then the developers anyways...
What gives you that idea?
I don't even know programming.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #43 on: 04 06 2015, 21:42:55 »
No need to shout.
Yes, there is.
I just forgot to add the question mark after "New bug".
Sure... sounds logical...  ;D How stupid I didn't see it myself  ;D

Just tried it with MirNG dev.v0.95.5 now, and you're right, avatars DOES work! I suspected as much myself, that's why I specified in my post which MirNG version I was using. The reason that I asked was that avatars DID work with the previous MSN dev. + MirNG v0.95.4. ..and I just noticed that they didn't anymore. No big deal though, as the important functions still work. :)
Well, just check this before you make a bug report next time, or you'll just get ignored.And no one assures you that all the "important functions" will be compatible.
What gives you that idea? I don't even know programming.
Well, just because Robyer told you and you didn't listen, so you wouldn't believe me as well.
« Last Edit: 04 06 2015, 21:45:40 by Wishmaster »

Offline Tomaso

« Reply #44 on: 04 06 2015, 22:02:51 »
because Robyer told you and you didn't listen
I heard him..
That's why I intended to phrase my post as a question.
..but when reading it now, I realize that it just sounds like a bad excuse, so I can see why you don't believe me.
Anyway, I'm just glad that you've all managed to crack M$ new protocol, and I'm looking forward to the next stable release!

I might post a few bugs for some of the other plugins that I'm using instead, because they're all stable versions.
« Last Edit: 04 06 2015, 22:04:35 by Tomaso »