Author Topic: Jabber and GTalk/Hangouts  (Read 22631 times)

Offline calabar

Jabber and GTalk/Hangouts
« on: 27 06 2014, 10:08:46 »
Ever since I use Miranda and communicate with GTalk users, I use the Jabber Plugin.
It works fine, but it is limited (no file transfer, no group chat, etc...).

Now I'm wondering if exists any alternative that allow me to improve my gtalk experience.
The passage should be painless, I'd like to preserve all my present contacts without re-insert them manually or ask for authorization again, if possible.

Thanks.

Offline calabar

Re:Jabber and GTalk/Hangouts
« Reply #1 on: 30 06 2014, 10:28:39 »
mmm... ok, no luck about that.

Maybe someone can answer to a question: the limits I described above are known or it is possible to around them in some way? Someone of you is able to use group chat or transfer files between gtalk/hangouts and Miranda NG?

PS: still have the problem of offline messages sent to my gmail instead then to Miranda, has something changed in the last year?

Offline watcher

Re: Jabber and GTalk/Hangouts
« Reply #2 on: 30 06 2014, 10:36:38 »
There is no file transfers in GTalk AFAIK. And hangouts - it's something with closed specifications.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline calabar

« Reply #3 on: 04 07 2014, 08:34:20 »
Could you explain in more details?
I could open a feature request in Miranda UserVoice, but I want to be sure that the request make some sense.

At the moment, I miss:
  • Offline message, retrieve that in gmail is uncomfortable and makes the history confusing.
  • File transfer: send and receive files with a contact that uses hangouts (or any other compatible client). The chance to send files to the contact's email would be very appreciated too (send a file as it was a file transfer, but automatically converted in email and received as email from the recipient), and could be a good workaround if file transfer should not work properly.
  • Join or create a chat session with multiple hangouts contacts.
  • Maybe something other that eludes me in this moment.
Thanks.

Offline watcher

« Reply #4 on: 04 07 2014, 09:50:29 »
There are no specks for hangouts - it is google's proprietary  service and we don't do reverse engineering anymore. We write plugins for services that provide tools for doing so. They do not provide any API or tools for working with hangouts. Google Talk (XMPP) works with hangouts as good as google lets it work. I'm not sure that anything else can be done on this matter.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline calabar

« Reply #5 on: 04 07 2014, 10:25:48 »
I've found this interesting article that explain what google did with the transition to Hangouts.

So, the only hope is that google will open his protocol allowing to other clients to use their main features.
That's a pity, I thought that google was following the "open" way with Hangouts too, but I was wrong.

Thanks!

Offline balagemayrag

« Reply #6 on: 07 09 2015, 08:42:12 »
There are no specks for hangouts - it is google's proprietary  service and we don't do reverse engineering anymore.
Why do you refuse to do reverse-engineering for Hangouts?

Isn't the Facebook plugin also based on some level of reverse-engineering (that uses the HTTP interface and acts just like a browser)?

It would be really good to have Hangouts integrated into Miranda NG. At least the chat and groupchat features. Too bad Google wants their users to be dependent on browsers or their proprietary technology that is usually bloated and resource-hungry.
« Last Edit: 07 09 2015, 08:46:17 by balagemayrag »

Offline watcher

« Reply #7 on: 07 09 2015, 19:58:31 »
Why do you refuse to do reverse-engineering for Hangouts?

We don't have time and people that willing to do it - it's a long process.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #8 on: 09 09 2015, 05:58:31 »
If there will be some working open source implementation of Hangouts in other software (like Pidgin or similar), then (if it will be in C/C++) it would be much easier to adapt it for Miranda NG too. But obviously no one here is willing / interested enough to do the reverse-engineering thing of it himself :-)
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #9 on: 09 09 2015, 07:41:25 »
There are LINE for pidgin
http://altrepo.eu/git/purple-line
Even with this no one willing to adapt it to Miranda

Offline calabar

« Reply #10 on: 09 09 2015, 09:28:45 »
We don't have time and people that willing to do it - it's a long process.
I can understand, and it is a pity for me.  :(
I use hangouts and the lack of a proper plugin is uncomfortable for me. At the moment I use Jabber, but the lack of support for offline messages (and the related incomplete history) is very limiting.

There are LINE for pidgin ... Even with this no one willing to adapt it to Miranda
Wrong topic? Here we are speaking about Hangouts, not line.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #11 on: 09 09 2015, 09:39:44 »
There are LINE for pidgin
http://altrepo.eu/git/purple-line
Even with this no one willing to adapt it to Miranda
Well, even if there is protocol source code from some other software, it is still time-comsuming and not-easy process to rewrite it for Miranda. So it still must be worth it (e.g. it must be popular protocol or the dev itself must be interested in it).
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

The following users thanked this post: watcher, Wishmaster

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #12 on: 09 09 2015, 12:57:01 »
Wrong topic? Here we are speaking about Hangouts, not line
Just for example if it will be on pidgin at first it will not necessary will be on miranda also. Hard to understand?
No asian chinese, japanese peoples in develop team to resurrect QQ and adapt Line. Doubt that  steam or sametime are more popular.
« Last Edit: 09 09 2015, 13:03:38 by Dimsok »

Offline calabar

« Reply #13 on: 09 09 2015, 15:50:30 »
Just for example if it will be on pidgin at first it will not necessary will be on miranda also. Hard to understand?
Frankly I haven't understood yet...  ???
But don't worry, maybe my poor English.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #14 on: 09 09 2015, 20:32:22 »
The bottom line is: Someone Has To Do It.
Are YOU volunteering?