Author Topic: Realtime chat (char based - not line based)  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Maniaxx

Realtime chat (char based - not line based)
« on: 13 11 2015, 23:15:41 »
Hallo,
maybe some people still remember the early Mirabilis ICQ times with 'Chat' function where you could initiate a direct connection to the chat partner with split-view window that puts out the chars in realtime. You didn't have to wait until the chat partner pressed <enter> or you could see what he's deleting again before sending in the end. Its very funny and a really cool and unique chat experience. You instantly see if people are slow snails or fast typers. It would be great to see this back for XMPP.

Offline Vulpix

Re: Realtime chat (char based - not line based)
« Reply #1 on: 14 11 2015, 06:27:58 »
This sounds like fun! I'm interested!

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #2 on: 14 11 2015, 06:29:51 »
Funny, unique, cool, but clunky, hard to implement on a protocol level, and overall largely useless.
You can find more details on the old Miranda IM forum.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #3 on: 14 11 2015, 07:43:53 »
Specification and example implementation: http://www.realjabber.org/
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Maniaxx

« Reply #4 on: 14 11 2015, 19:34:55 »
Thanks, didn't know there's a draft already.
Miranda-IM thread is here. There is even a bounty of 325$ for coding it.

I can remember i didn't like it that much on ICQ either back in the days mostly due to its bad implementation. The chat window was a somewhat different "user experience" with black background and other button positions that never really catched up with main ICQ evolution. They seem to never update it correspondingly until it was removed completely.
It also had to be established with explicit user interaction/confirmation  ("The other side wants to start a chat session. Do you want to allow?"). Something like that. That confused people as well.
« Last Edit: 14 11 2015, 19:51:31 by Maniaxx »