Author Topic: MSN plugin is broken again, fix-solution for developers  (Read 41392 times)

Offline Dimsok

Re: MSN plugin is broken again, fix-solution for developers
« Reply #15 on: 21 12 2014, 08:55:26 »
0.11.1.2 and i can't log in. I installed NG about 10 days ago, and a first couple of days it worked.

Offline calabar

« Reply #16 on: 21 12 2014, 09:10:07 »
It seems you are using the beta version instead than the stable one.
Try to go back to Miranda stable (after a backup of your profile) to see if this solved the login problem.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #17 on: 21 12 2014, 10:02:15 »
Stable and development have basically the same MSN plugin right now, so IMHO it won't help.

Did you tried to change login server to some ip address, like they're recommending there: http://ismsndeadyet.com/ ?
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline calabar

« Reply #18 on: 21 12 2014, 15:49:49 »
That's strange, because I can connect to messenger.hotmail.com:1863.
The problem is that it seems that I can't modify information about my contact list on the server using Miranda.

Offline paloris

« Reply #19 on: 22 12 2014, 12:58:37 »
It could be possible the servers that are still online are providing some basic functions, and some other basic functions are being removed or thwarted.
At least for third parties...

Offline unitwobble

« Reply #20 on: 23 12 2014, 16:20:15 »
The whole thing is a disaster since November. The guy who brought us the version number fix has a patch for the official clients and a gateway for third party programs:

"For all other clients (Pidgin, Adium, other libpurple clients), where the option allows, you can continue to sign in by changing the Messenger server from messenger.hotmail.com to msn.messengergeek.com.", from "Messenger Service now requiring HTTPS (and error code 80072efd)", posted Dec 17.

That aside, merry Christmas and have a happy new year!

Offline calabar

« Reply #21 on: 24 12 2014, 10:31:18 »
@unitwobble
Thanks for the link.
I tried to change MSN server to the one reported, but I didn't obtain any advantage: I can connect the MSN network as I did before, and I can't modify my server list exactly as before.

Offline watcher

« Reply #22 on: 29 12 2014, 13:53:06 »
For me it helps to login to Outlook.com with the same credentials that i use for Miranda MSN plugin. Then it starts working for me again.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Cool Javelin

« Reply #23 on: 29 12 2014, 22:23:10 »
I read that Live Messenger (MSN Messenger) had been shutdown my Microsoft back in 2013 (source Microsoft http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-ecoms/msn-closing-down-messenger/8873a7c1-e860-4684-82ec-3fbee1e8c36f) and has been replaced by Skype.

You might as well delete the account information for MSN, then delete the MSN.DLL in your Miranda folder.

Mark.

Offline calabar

« Reply #24 on: 30 12 2014, 08:35:48 »
@watcher
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to use the web interface and I can communicate with the contact I was testing with.
Unfortunately this don't seems to affect MSN protocol in Miranda, and I still have the problems described above.

@Cool Javelin
I think that discontinue the MSN protocol in Miranda is not a good idea.
Many Miranda users have a significative part of their contact list with MSN protocol.
Skype protocol is closed and it is impossible to add it to Miranda after the Skypekit has been discontinued, so it is not a good replacement. The present Skype Classic protocol requires the use of the official Skype software, and it is too heavy for many not powerful computer where Miranda runs.
In 2013 Microsoft closed the MSN project but don't close the MSN network. Until they keep it alive, I think that MSN protocol in Miranda remains an important resource and it should be a priority to fix the problems that compromise its use.

« Last Edit: 30 12 2014, 10:35:21 by calabar »

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #25 on: 01 01 2015, 20:44:01 »
Microsoft migrating Skype to MSN protocol.
You could call it consolidation, if you wish.

Offline unitwobble

« Reply #26 on: 04 01 2015, 08:46:33 »
You might as well delete the account information for MSN, then delete the MSN.DLL in your Miranda folder.

I think you're confusing the product with the service. Although they've halted support for the MSN Messenger program, the MSNP servers are still very well alive since they are used as the messaging system for a number of Microsoft products, Skype being one of them. The problem is that the changes they make to the protocol are undocumented leaving devs for 3rd party clients and patches playing the catch-up game.

Offline calabar

« Reply #27 on: 10 01 2015, 13:53:30 »
Any news?
I tried with the just released Miranda stable and nothing changes.

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
« Reply #28 on: 14 01 2015, 14:29:54 »
It worked for a while ;) I can't connect since a week or something... basically because
messenger.hotmail.com and gateway.messenger.hotmail.com
resolve for me to IPs that were shutdown. I'm currently using 157.56.127.4 instead but Miranda should be using HTTPS and it will work either way.. (unless we also need to update our protocol, but I'm not sure about that)

Offline Tragen

« Reply #29 on: 14 01 2015, 16:11:40 »
MS only accepts TLS connections now. Even SSL is closed.

Thanks for the IP, it's working now again also with port 80