Author Topic: Crash after "option" selection  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Dimsok

Crash after "option" selection
« on: 16 04 2015, 13:56:28 »
After last update i can't change settings of miranda. When i select "options" i get a crash. I regulary update miranda, and sometimes there are a couple of updates, sometimes no one at all. And at these time there were many (about 40 plugins). Why is that so? They all have one developer, or they work synchronical? Or maybe there are some messing with versions in updater. That's  seems strange for me. I mean - nothing and then almost all plugins. And now i should to delete them one by one to find out which one has causing the crash

Offline Vulpix

Re: Crash after "option" selection
« Reply #1 on: 16 04 2015, 14:43:03 »
I actually had the same issue; using old-api tox plugin + 32bit miranda. Some change was made to the core which causes it to crash if you open options menu on a latest dev miranda 32bit.

The 64bit miranda + old-api tox 64bit are actually working.

As for the big update, it's usually when something is changed in core and the change must be retro-actively "implanted" into all the plugins that interface with it. It's generally very much a case of "find all x, replace with y". That is why you will sometimes see 40-50 plugins being updated when in reality those plugins weren't really updated per se; they were just made compatible with the latest trunk miranda core or some of the core plugins.

Edit:

This is likely the commit:

http://trac.miranda-ng.org/changeset/12840/
« Last Edit: 16 04 2015, 15:11:40 by Vulpix »

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #2 on: 16 04 2015, 15:50:13 »
Indeed, it was tox's fault. Question to Vulpix: Can i use new tox with old tox profile or is necessary to import it again?

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 16 04 2015, 16:35:34 »
The tox "profile" will work with the new tox api plugin.

However!

The new tox api is, well, new tox api. I described the issues here: http://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=2502.0 but basically if you have friends who don't use miranda and don't use nightly builds of utox/qtox but rather run the utox_updater.exe, you will start spamming them with 4GB files and they will also be almost unable to talk to you (and vice-versa, sort of).

It is worth noting that if you update your miranda to 64bit and use the old api tox (64bit version), this crash doesn't occur anymore, even with this new change. Chances are it'll be broken soon in the future though as the new api tox is the currently merged tox branch and the old api tox is no longer being updated.

New tox api is on hold (sort of!) due to irungentoo (who is the main tox dev) and who does not want to push the update to the regular people due to qtox not being ported to new api yet.

tl;dr, update to new tox api if you know all of the people you tox with can update to utox nightly or miranda. If they use qtox, bad luck.
« Last Edit: 16 04 2015, 16:37:11 by Vulpix »

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #4 on: 16 04 2015, 16:42:06 »
I have windows 32

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #5 on: 16 04 2015, 17:01:00 »
Then you're out of luck :/ . I don't know what would be involved in fixing up the old tox api... :/ especially since it's been merged with trunk.

I take backups of my miranda every week or so so I have my plugins from a week ago, you can try them if you want. I tried it with my tox and it works fine on 32bit. But obviously it's just a workaround since you will have to stop updating your miranda if you want it to keep working.

The archive is temporarily here:

Edit: Deleted, not needed.

It doesn't have all the plugins so if you want some older ones I can dig those up for you, I have them stashed somewhere too. It has the latest old tox api and it's 32bit. Sorry but as I'm not a dev that's the best I can do...
« Last Edit: 16 04 2015, 17:10:34 by Vulpix »

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #6 on: 16 04 2015, 17:04:29 »
Don't worry so much. I will survive

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #7 on: 16 04 2015, 17:07:44 »
Hehe okay.

Really, all we're waiting for is qtox:

[14:34] <LittleVulpix> Heya folks! When will the 0.2.p (i.e. the new api utox) be available via utox_updater, anyone knows?
[14:34] <fr33domlover> I'm getting blank mesages in tox
[14:34] <fr33domlover> anyone saw this problem?
[14:34] <@zetok> LittleVulpix: it will be available when all clients will support new API
[14:35] <LittleVulpix> blank messages = new tox talking to old tox and vice-versa
[14:35] <LittleVulpix> @zetok It's problematic for me because my friend who uses linux already somehow has the new api version :D
[14:35] <fr33domlover> LittleVulpix, how do I know which is the old one :P
[14:36] <fr33domlover> I use packages made from the daily build
[14:36] <fr33domlover> / jenkins
[14:36] <@zetok> eh
[14:36] <LittleVulpix> There's your problem then :D
[14:37] <LittleVulpix> If you use the daily builds then you likely have the new api
[14:37] <LittleVulpix> pity that there wasn't some commit for the tox old api that would make it say "bla bla your partner is using new api please update your tox" :D
[14:40] <@zetok> switch of all clients to new API was supposed to happen already few days ago, but unfortunately qTox dev who said that he'll be porting it had some events happen that simply limited time he could spend on porting qTox.. and sadly, no one else seems to be really interested in helping port & rewrite qTox

If you're up for it, then: https://github.com/tux3/qTox/issues/1520 hehe

Offline Robyer

« Reply #8 on: 17 04 2015, 08:21:04 »
Here I compiled Tox using old API for new Miranda NG core. It's not tested, but it should work. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6p4a32kv02d689/Tox_oldAPI_for_newNG.7z?dl=0
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #9 on: 17 04 2015, 09:38:50 »
I confirm this works now, no crash on 32bit nor 64bit w/ latest versions of all plugins. Thanks, Robyer!

Offline Dimsok

Re:Crash after "option" selection
« Reply #10 on: 17 04 2015, 09:43:07 »
Thanks. Will try, cause, new api's tox can't connect for me. Vulpix.  are you sure it works with old Tox.tox?

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #11 on: 17 04 2015, 10:00:31 »
Pretty sure. In fact you can freely swap inbetween them if you so desire. I am able to connect and start my 32bit miranda with old api, then shut it down, overwrite the tox files with the new api, start miranda and log in again.

Make sure you are always overwriting all of the files, including libtox.dll (which would explain why you could be unable to connect).

Tested it just now to make sure; no problems.

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #12 on: 17 04 2015, 10:09:16 »
And why in new api tox there are settings for audio? Just for a future, or....?

Offline watcher

« Reply #13 on: 17 04 2015, 10:10:19 »
I stopped compiling old API tox builds, cause unsane do not support them anymore, i removed links to old builds in Tox dev tread due to crashes. So use those Robyer's builds if they work for a while.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #14 on: 17 04 2015, 10:13:05 »
Yep. I wish qtox would get done asap so that we could all just switch over to new api and start testing!