Author Topic: TabSRMM: Improve/rework "SendLater" to become faux offline messaging  (Read 14262 times)

Offline Vulpix

Hello all!

I'm curious how difficult it would be to change / implement a so-called "faux offline messaging" into tabsrmm.

Currently, tabsrmm has an option to send later / retry / keep trying etc.  This is _almost_ good enough, but not quite.. since the time between attempts increases exponentially, and in the end, the plugin sort of gives up until you restart miranda (which is documented; I'm not saying this is a bad behavior).

What I'm looking for is the ability to handle offline messages like Skype used to:

Core features:
  • Keep trying to deliver the message until it is received or cancelled by the sender or a long period of time passes.
  • Only start trying when the target (contact) comes/is online (protocols that support offline messages don't _really_ need this feature)

Quality of life features:
  • Automatically switch into "faux offline messaging" when talking to an offline contact of a protocol that does not support offline messaging.
  • Possibly handle the message with its original timestamp, ie. so that it appears in the history at the time when it was sent

The advantage of this would be the protocol-independent nature of these messages, i.e. no support in protocol required for this to work. Kind of like FileAsMessage does file transfers over any protocol as well.

Thoughts?

Offline Robyer

I like this idea. But I don't know how complicated would be implementation or who will do it  ???
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline mida

how can i change in the settings or db editor++ that tabsrmm get lesser time for sending a message?
a few times if im sending a message it feels that it needs 30 seconds until i get the popup my message cant sent.
sorry for my bad english

Offline watcher

mida, in which protocol?
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline mida

it was mainly in icq, maybe a little connection lost but was only a few times.
from last 30 days was it less as 10 messages where tabsrmm says me.
sorry for my bad english

Offline Robyer

30 seconds is minimal interval that could be set. It's hardcoded in tabsrmm. AFAIK you can't change it through dbeditor, it must be changed in code...
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline mida

ok thanks should i do now a extra ticket for it? for myself its have very less priority
sorry for my bad english

Offline Wishmaster

ok thanks should i do now a extra ticket for it? for myself its have very less priority
Why do you want to do that anyways? The messages aren't sent faster by that. It is just the time it waits for an acknowledgement from another client. The hardcoded lower time of 30 is fine like that.

Offline mida

for what for a protocol it must wait 30 seconds for an acknowledgement?
most protocols are server based thats sent possible answer in much less as this 30 seconds.
or have it a other reason?
sorry for my bad english

Offline Wishmaster

for what for a protocol it must wait 30 seconds for an acknowledgement?
most protocols are server based thats sent possible answer in much less as this 30 seconds.
or have it a other reason?
Well, most are but some are not. Tox for example.
If a protocol sends it earlier it is marked as sent. The 30 seconds are a maximum time, and lowering it would lead to unneeded bug reports.

Offline mida

ah ok, thanks.
i dont use one from it but i can alive with this 30 seconds  ;)
sorry for my bad english

Offline Wishmaster

ah ok, thanks.
i dont use one from it but i can alive with this 30 seconds  ;)
Then there is no problem for you. If you get an ack after 2 seconds, it will be acknowledged. Its a maximum time. If you lower it, there will be much more wrong positives.

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
I would love to have it lower then 10 sec^^
It annoyed me a few times already when I actually knew the message cannot be send after 3 seconds but TabSRMM keeps waiting and blocking...

I can't describe what exactly happens, but it somehow blocks while trying to send.. so I couldn't do anything but wait

Offline mida

i didnt mean 2 seconds, more 10 or 15 seconds thats waiting for an ack and than looks how it works.
a own statistic how long tabsrmm every time is waiting would be interest for me ^^
« Last Edit: 15 09 2014, 19:55:32 by mida »
sorry for my bad english

Offline Wishmaster

Well, it is waiting as long as it gets an ack, but no longer then the maximum time. If you would set it to 3 seconds, it would cause many false positives when it needs more time.
It would make sense to set it per contact, but I don't think it's possible.

BTW mida:  "it looks how..." is wrong, "it looks like..." is correct instead. ;) Common false friend for germans :)