Author Topic: Facebook protocol  (Read 360166 times)

Offline peci1

Re: Facebook protocol
« Reply #765 on: 27 08 2019, 20:15:14 »
For the first time I reactivated the facebook account in Miranda, I saw my contacts appear online, but then Miranda showed a warning that the plugin could not load all required data. Since then, reconnecting to FB doesn't show any contacts online, and moreover, it also seems to prevent some contacts from other protocols to appear online.

Offline AE

« Reply #766 on: 28 08 2019, 12:48:21 »
Maybe this will help
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/6c4788805f2df5b0953010d54c59a3ed71ea5031

fix already landed to development version

Thanks for your time and work. I was excited to try this, because I was suspecting user agent "miranda" may be problem for Facebook. I guess, same scammers start using it for mass communication or something. I was kicked several times and forced to change password, even when I don't use Facebook anywhere outside of Miranda and I login to it only from one static computer. Last time was a month ago and I stopped trying since and let my 10 years old account blocked.

So it was time for new try. I updated Miranda, changed my password and reenabled my Facebook account. It connected fine. Then I realized, that I have set updates only for stable version, no developer version. So I updated Miranda again. Restart. I was kicked from Facebook immediately.

OK, my bad. So I reset my password again trough the browser (Firefox). Changed password in Miranda and it work. I tried to restart Miranda, it work and I tested it in chat with friend. Next day, it was logged without problem. Great. But after few hours, without restarting Miranda or logout, Facebook go off. Tried reconnect - no luck. Kicked again.

Mail in my mailbox: "It looks like someone else has accessed your Facebook account. To secure your account, you have to answer a few questions and change your password the next time you log in to Facebook. For your protection, no one on Facebook will see you until you secure your account."

It use to by one kick per month. But now is kick per few hours. I think it is fair to say, that currently, Miranda-Ng do not support Facebook protocol.
« Last Edit: 28 08 2019, 12:50:42 by AE »

Online dartraiden

« Reply #767 on: 28 08 2019, 14:23:55 »
For the first time I reactivated the facebook account in Miranda, I saw my contacts appear online, but then Miranda showed a warning that the plugin could not load all required data. Since then, reconnecting to FB doesn't show any contacts online, and moreover, it also seems to prevent some contacts from other protocols to appear online.
Can you provide the netlog?

Offline peci1

« Reply #768 on: 29 08 2019, 22:03:20 »
Here it is: https://send.firefox.com/download/13f49e893ee5fc3f/#J3mUg1ce_g_J9xmW7OZyrw . Beware that I limited the file to 3 downloads and then it disappears... I also enclosed a crash log I got shortly after playing with the FacebookRM protocol. My Miranda normally doesn't crash.

Offline ghazan

« Reply #769 on: 31 08 2019, 17:10:32 »
peci1,
how did you obtain that crash? disabled account?

Offline peci1

« Reply #770 on: 31 08 2019, 17:23:42 »
Yeah, something like that. I know I was fiddling with enabling/disabling the fb account before the crash.

Offline ghazan

« Reply #771 on: 31 08 2019, 17:27:00 »
Yeah, something like that. I know I was fiddling with enabling/disabling the fb account before the crash.
I see, thanks

Offline riki

« Reply #772 on: 09 09 2019, 20:18:17 »
Yes, I think that updating Miranda is a major reason for Facebook misbehavior (suspicious activity, change passwd, etc.).

I just got back to Facebook (and to Miranda) after a month spent mainly offline. As soon as I updated Miranda, Facebook kicked me out. Before updating, I had gone offline with Miranda, hoping to minimize the risk of problems. However, going offline before updating didn't help. It's as if Facebook knows about my Miranda changing even if I keep it offline?

I wrote another support ticket to Facebook, polite and factual, without mentioning Miranda or even "other browsers". I just said I'd been locked out again, forced change my passwd, inconvenient, blahblah. That makes about 7-8 messages to support.

Unfortunately, I don't have a netlog of the event, because after time passed, I had given up on keeping logging active. My bad.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #773 on: 10 09 2019, 04:44:15 »
I think it should now get better as we will stop being nice with our user agents; i.e. instead of advertising that we're miranda, we'll act as if we're a regular browser.

See https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/93a09024ab433c866e87c5a6e33f982d7e8e32ab .

So it is possible miranda update triggered it but hopefully for the last time (?).

If not, it may be a better idea to use the status manager's StartupStatus to configure it so that miranda doesn't connect until X seconds have passed. If you see an update within this time, cancel the startup login and do an update first instead.

Personally I have miranda set to offline on startup and I log in manually every time, but I also understand why someone may want it to login automatically.

Offline riki

« Reply #774 on: 10 09 2019, 09:27:36 »
I think it should now get better as we will stop being nice with our user agents; i.e. instead of advertising that we're miranda, we'll act as if we're a regular browser.

See https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/93a09024ab433c866e87c5a6e33f982d7e8e32ab .

So it is possible miranda update triggered it but hopefully for the last time (?).
Seems good to me too. But... is Facebook so dumb? Just a small difference in user agent version number, with all other things equal, disrupting user identity? They must be doing it on purpose. Perhaps they don't like us accessing our own messaging on our own terms.

If not, it may be a better idea to use the status manager's StartupStatus to configure it so that miranda doesn't connect until X seconds have passed. If you see an update within this time, cancel the startup login and do an update first instead.

I thought going offline from FB before updating (auto updater) would be equivalent to your workaround. Is it not?

On a related note: like you, I don't have Miranda going automatically online on startup - not always, at least. I have keepStatus, and I often shut down Miranda in an offline state.

One last personal peeve with Miranda and Facebook: Miranda just does not receive any messages containing a quote. I mean the quotes produced by FB messenger natively. They just pass through as if nothing happened. I saw no one else reporting this issue, which is IMHO serious enough. Is it only me?
« Last Edit: 10 09 2019, 09:37:42 by riki »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #775 on: 11 09 2019, 12:46:58 »
Hmm... the going offline before the autoupdater, my guess is if you sign in with different string in quick succession with the same session id or ip or whatever they use to tell logins apart, it triggers the protection. Whereas if you just update before logging in and log in after having updated, it should be fine. That said... now, it should be okay. As in, the version number should not be changing.

About your issue, I would report it on github if it is not already. I don't use Facebook so I don't know these issues exist :/

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

« Reply #776 on: 11 09 2019, 18:42:18 »
You don't need to use FB to see the issue. The problem is when the other participant in the conversation makes a quote from FB. Or maybe you mean you don't use FB protocol?

I've created a ticket on github, as you suggested. Thanks!  :)

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #777 on: 12 09 2019, 09:27:43 »
Yep! Indeed. I don't even have a facebook account :D

Offline KentKareless

« Reply #778 on: 12 09 2019, 11:31:59 »
I am sorry to disappoint you, but it seems the issue is not fixed yet.
I got exactly the same issue on Monday this week (09.09.2019).

Unfortunately i do not remember the exact actions i performed to trigger the error, but i guess Miranda NG was updating itself since i have not logged in for a few days prior to that.
Fortunately i do have a netlog of the error (see attachment).

You can find the error at line 3125 and please ignore the Steam logs. :D

Online dartraiden

« Reply #779 on: 12 09 2019, 12:56:22 »
Problem still exists but now appears much less frequently (thanks to the new user agent)