Author Topic: Miranda can no longer log onto Jabber server  (Read 1964 times)

Offline weblurker

Miranda can no longer log onto Jabber server
« on: 06 08 2022, 20:03:35 »
Hello.

I just updated to version 0.91.1 build #24543 (aaae8eb5eb). I noticed during the update process that the Jabber module was updated.

When Miranda tries to log into the Lightwitch.org Jabber server, the below error message stacks up on the right side of the screen:

JB:Error 4:00pm
policy-violation
text:Exceeded max failed authentication attempts,
bye.

Edit: I was able to tell a friend about the problem with the update and Jabber. He didn't allow the update to occur and he's still able to log onto the Jabber server. So the problem doesn't appear to be with the server.
« Last Edit: 07 08 2022, 03:53:13 by weblurker »

Offline ghazan

Re: Miranda can no longer log onto Jabber server
« Reply #1 on: 07 08 2022, 11:46:39 »
weblurker,
well, the problem in fact is related with server, but I see... gotta comment out that code till the server will be updated

PS: 0.96.1 updated, you can update your Miranda
« Last Edit: 07 08 2022, 13:29:36 by ghazan »

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #2 on: 07 08 2022, 11:51:10 »
Miranda recently received Channel Bindings for TLS 1.3 support. The server declares TLS 1.3 support but cannot use this security scheme for login. So it is a server configuration error.

I propose to remove this support from the stable version (it was ported there by accident) and make an option in the development version that disables it for such buggy servers.

Also you can report about this situation to the server owner.
« Last Edit: 07 08 2022, 12:09:09 by dartraiden »

Offline weblurker

« Reply #3 on: 07 08 2022, 13:49:36 »
Miranda recently received Channel Bindings for TLS 1.3 support. The server declares TLS 1.3 support but cannot use this security scheme for login. So it is a server configuration error. I propose to remove this support from the stable version (it was ported there by accident) and make an option in the development version that disables it for such buggy servers. Also you can report about this situation to the server owner.

It turns out that's not the only problem with the Lightwitch server.

https://aria-net.org/SitePages/Portal/Contact-Us.aspx

You have to solve a captcha before an email is sent to Lightwitch support  and the contact page always reports that you've failed to properly solve the captcha.
So at the moment, it's impossible to contact anyone at Lightwitch through the contact page.

https://aria-net.org/_layouts/15/news.aspx

FWIW, according to the Lightwitch blog, they upgraded their system around June 2.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #4 on: 07 08 2022, 14:17:16 »
Done. 0.96.1 updated and should connect without problem. 0.96.2 will require to disable "Use TLS 1.3 bindings" option.

Offline weblurker

« Reply #5 on: 07 08 2022, 16:59:48 »
Done. 0.96.1 updated and should connect without problem. 0.96.2 will require to disable "Use TLS 1.3 bindings" option.

Thanks. That worked.

BTW, what Jabber server do you use for testing? I might as well switch to that one.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #6 on: 07 08 2022, 17:03:23 »
We use jabber.ru for regular testing (and we have conference for english-speaking users: miranda-ng-int@conference.jabber.ru), but it does not support TLS 1.3

See
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/3140#issuecomment-1206218381

Offline weblurker

« Reply #7 on: 08 08 2022, 04:32:12 »
0.96.2 will require to disable "Use TLS 1.3 bindings" option.

I checked Miranda -> Options -> Advanced -> JB -> Miscellaneous -> Server Options and the "Use TLS 1.3 bindings (if possible)" option was already unchecked.

Was that option turned off by the latest update? If it was already turned off before the update, did the previous update use the TLS 1.3 binding for logging in, even though the option was turned off?

Or is there another TLS 1.3 option that is only used for logging in?

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #8 on: 08 08 2022, 11:24:13 »
Previously it was forced turned on in stable and dev versions.

Seems like @ghazan decided not to remove it from the stable, but disable by default on both channels.
« Last Edit: 08 08 2022, 11:30:18 by dartraiden »