Author Topic: ICQ and unofficial messengers?  (Read 101852 times)

Offline Krishty

Re: ICQ and unofficial messengers?
« Reply #90 on: 05 01 2019, 00:53:06 »
Just confirming that 3) duplicate messages are fixed with today’s development version. Thank you very much!

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #91 on: 05 01 2019, 01:23:29 »
Do you have a link to the ticket? Maybe I can help with log output or something!
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/1713
netlog isn't problem, this can be easily reproduced

duplicate messages are fixed with today’s development version
and Miranda can now receive more than 1 offline message ;) another goal is reached

Offline MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

« Reply #92 on: 06 01 2019, 20:07:25 »
Hey! Quick question: Could there be an issue with existing accounts? I tried to get a connection both with a converted Miranda install and a fresh dev version, and both refuse to connect without an error message or anything of that sort - there simply seems to be no connection attempt. Same goes for a friend of mine on his machine. Any idea what could be the issue?

Offline Mataes

« Reply #93 on: 06 01 2019, 20:10:54 »

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #94 on: 06 01 2019, 20:12:18 »
you probably updated from a very old NG or IM and faced a long password
https://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Plugin:ICQ#Rejected_password

Offline GrandAdmiralThrawn

• XIN technology weblog
« Reply #95 on: 07 01 2019, 07:07:10 »
I have a question: Is there some good documentation of the new ICQ protocol and the changes necessary to migrate from the old one? Would be perfect to have some side-by-side comparison chart or something.

I'm asking because I may prefer Miranda NG over all else on MS Windows, but I rely on the good old licq client on my Linux and BSD UNIX machines. If all else fails, I may need to fix licq myself. Not sure if I'm able to be honest, but I'm guessing that nobody else is willing to do this anymore.

Thank you!

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #96 on: 07 01 2019, 13:01:48 »
ICQ protocol (protocol itself, not Miranda implementation) is undocumented (damn, Mail.ru ignores the existence of unofficial clients).

You can filter issues by ICQ tag to see what is planned for implementation. Also some notable changes beetween old and new protocols are described in wiki.

Offline ellick

« Reply #97 on: 07 01 2019, 18:25:41 »
I just tried the official ICQ client because contacts constantly going offline and back is annoying as hell.   ICQ is just awful now.   It appears that what causes that behavior in Miranda is from the official client putting contacts in to some sort of away mode.    The official client will show a user online but if they're no longer interacting with that window it will say something like "last seen one minute ago" instead of still showing them"online".   Even if they still are.
« Last Edit: 07 01 2019, 18:27:12 by ellick »

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #98 on: 07 01 2019, 18:47:43 »
Yes, exactly as Telegram, for example
More than half of network connections are made from mobile devices (for example, almost 60% of Wikipedia visitors = mobile clients).
In Android and iOS, the client is not running if it is not the active window. The operating system may unload an inactive application at any time, but the client still able to receive messages via push, even if it is not running.
Desktop clients (Telegram, ICQ) have the same behavior: interacting with client = Online.

Offline ellick

« Reply #99 on: 07 01 2019, 19:55:39 »
I've never used Telegram.  This sounds more like mobile phone texting?   I know texting is why most of the IM programs have become obsolete.   I just find this online/offline behavior very annoying on the PC and it would be worse if I had a lot of contacts on my ICQ list. 
I guess this is considered "progress" though.   

I'd been using the original Miranda for years but have also installed NG in the past to check out the differences.   As IM programs have slowly disappeared, ICQ was the last one I used but much prefer Miranda's interface.   I know now it's not NG's fault but ICQ itself.  I just hope NG's developers can come up with something to alleviate this annoying behavior. 

Offline sharp

« Reply #100 on: 08 01 2019, 06:11:50 »
When will icq protocol be implemented in stable version? The dev version keeps crashing my internet after few hours of use and when I close the program the internet from my laptop is working again.

Offline Plague

« Reply #101 on: 08 01 2019, 10:14:56 »
I'm asking because I may prefer Miranda NG over all else on MS Windows, but I rely on the good old licq client on my Linux and BSD UNIX machines. If all else fails, I may need to fix licq myself. Not sure if I'm able to be honest, but I'm guessing that nobody else is willing to do this anymore.
pidgin is not affected by the protocol change, you may want to look into its source code if you want to patch licq.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #102 on: 08 01 2019, 12:53:04 »
The dev version keeps crashing my internet after few hours of use
We tried to fix it yesterday. Is crash still exist on latest build (#21165 or later)?

Also some fixes pushed today. Please, test after next update.

Offline sharp

« Reply #103 on: 08 01 2019, 15:57:46 »
I still have build #21102 (installed on Jan 2). How do I get the latest build without using the update in the program? If I unsintall and download it again from https://www.miranda-ng.org/en/downloads/ , will I have the latest build?

Here's the problem why, I am unable to use the update from the program - I have included a screenshot here:

I have windows 7 Home Premium. I spent hours trying to fix that error but apparently, I need Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable to fix it but when I install that, it always fail. I also tried installing KB2999226 but I need windows 7 service pack 1 which I don't have.

Don't know what to do here

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #104 on: 08 01 2019, 17:10:42 »
Downoad core package
https://www.miranda-ng.org/distr/miranda-ng-alpha-latest.7z
https://www.miranda-ng.org/distr/miranda-ng-alpha-latest_x64.7z

and get necessary dlls from /Libs
place them to your /Miranda_installation_dir/Libs

No need to install runtime, because Miranda store all necessary libs in subfolder

The following users thanked this post: sharp