Author Topic: Miranda was unable to open profile  (Read 4834 times)

Offline yard2004

Miranda was unable to open profile
« on: 08 08 2018, 07:29:44 »
Hello,

after some auto upgrade today Miranda say´s me that unable open profile... Yesterday was working

No auto backups profiles working !

How can I fix this?

thx

Offline yard2004

Re: Miranda was unable to open profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 08 2018, 07:43:54 »
Eror when I am trying import old profile to newest blank Miranda

Is there profile difference when using 32 or 64 bit version of Miranda ? I am using it as portable

Offline ghazan

« Reply #2 on: 09 08 2018, 19:26:08 »
yes, there is the difference between 32 & 64 bits.
Miranda32 won't open a database created by 64-bits driver

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #3 on: 09 08 2018, 23:29:53 »
O.o why…

Offline ghazan

« Reply #4 on: 13 08 2018, 07:56:32 »
AnrDaemon,
because the maximum profile size it stored inside profile, and for 32-bit version it's 430MB, while for 64-bit version it's 16GB

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #5 on: 13 08 2018, 16:09:58 »
Now, how would you import 64-bit database into 32-bit Miranda?…
This was a very unwise architectural choice.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #6 on: 14 08 2018, 14:00:17 »
I have run into these limitations on my miranda (32bit); completely unknowingly, and it resulted in a complete data loss. Database backups were also "silently broken" because of this - they were producing files, but the files were invalid somehow (when loaded they would result in a loss of all data in them). So basically the only reason I did not lose my data was because I have offloading to text files by MsgExport turned on by default, and I was able to then import my histories back.

I too am somewhat unhappy with the current database spec. There are many advantages of this database but as far as I can see, current Miranda is not taking advantage of them. This means that we have a bloated database (about 2x the size of dbx_mmap), it's got random hidden limitations and in case you run into a problem with your DB, you're pretty much screwed because the debug tools are not very helpful (whereas with dbx_mmap - albeit maybe not the fastest DB, it worked fine).

I think that because there are so few developers active @ Miranda, maybe if we don't plan on utilizing the functionality in dbx_mdbx, we should not impose it on the users, especially if technically miranda is still capable of operating with dbx_mmap.

There are still those that use miranda on WinXP too, and for example now they run the risk of losing all of their data if they run into the text limitations. It's not some hypothetical scenario because I have already run into them myself.

Therefore, I would welcome discussion or maybe re-assessment of the mdbx format and whether or not we could return to mmap.

Just my two cents after having no working backups, constantly corrupted profile and having to live in fear of losing my data any moment, forcing me to randomly turn off my miranda to make a copy of the file manually. (cause you cannot copy it when miranda runs anymore either...).

Others with similar (dismal) experience:
https://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=5515.0
https://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=5510.0
« Last Edit: 14 08 2018, 14:22:45 by Vulpix »

Offline sKopheK

« Reply #7 on: 12 09 2018, 08:36:18 »
started miranda NG after couple of weeks and due to broken profile / unsuccessful update i cannot use it anymore. pitty, was a really nice time using it for past 10 years :/

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #8 on: 12 09 2018, 23:19:49 »
What version are you running?
Try to create new profile, update Miranda to latest version and import old profile to new.

Offline sKopheK

« Reply #9 on: 14 09 2018, 07:08:01 »
always latest (automatic updates - that's why it's broken so many times). replaced all Miranda NG files with the ones from downloaded archive at the homepage, didn't help, downloaded full package from download page and voilá

erthink

« Reply #10 on: 28 08 2019, 10:53:23 »
I am the main libmdbx developer.
Please see my comment in the relevant issue.