Author Topic: Auto downloading/showing linked pictures: any plugin?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline riki

Hello, is there any plugin that will download and let me see images linked in the messages? I would like it especially for whatsapp plugin, some groups/chat rooms have lots of linked images and it's tiring to click, go to the browser, maybe save etc.

Thanks, as usual, for the great help these forums provide!  ;D

Offline Robyer

Re: Auto downloading/showing linked pictures: any plugin?
« Reply #1 on: 10 11 2015, 17:51:55 »
Probably IEView plugin with proper template. But I'm not sure if it support group chats...
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

« Reply #2 on: 13 11 2015, 18:12:45 »
Thanks, Robyer. Unfortunately I don't use IEView. I even deleted most IE components from my system! I hoped there would be something using Miranda Image Services.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 13 11 2015, 20:33:38 »
Thanks, Robyer. Unfortunately I don't use IEView. I even deleted most IE components from my system! I hoped there would be something using Miranda Image Services.

IEView works even if you delete/uninstall internet explorer (via windows components).

The way your request works would be by using a BBcode ( [ img ][ /img ] ), so I still think it's not exactly what you're looking for - because I assume the whatsapp groups don't use such tags to link images.

I would like to say however that your request could be potentially dangerous. It's been proven many times that you can paste a .jpg or .png link and instead you're getting a video, sound; in worse cases an executable.

Sorry to rain on your parade a bit ^_^;

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

« Reply #4 on: 13 11 2015, 23:48:47 »
You do have a point about security, Vulpix.

Yes, it's not enclosed in BBcode, so no use trying IEView anyway I guess. Hm, it would be trivial to get Bbcode via rewriting rules, e.g., in a scripting engine with even rudimentary regexp-like matching, if we had one. Or do we?

Come to think of it, we could also fence off security attacks by only matching specific filename patterns and feeding the file only to specific handlers anyway - let the jpg viewer "play" that exe file! I guess it won't look pretty, but it will do little harm.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #5 on: 14 11 2015, 06:27:15 »
We actually do have one - MirLua. Give it a go? :o

Offline riki

« Reply #6 on: 18 11 2015, 17:31:39 »
I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline riki

« Reply #7 on: 01 12 2015, 22:38:26 »
I don't know any lua, but I think I could learn what's needed. Problem is, I don't see a way for lua to interact with message display (to show pictures). The forum discussion here is all in Russian... beyond me. Any idea where I could look for info/ask questions?

Offline riki

« Reply #8 on: 18 01 2016, 20:37:30 »
Still no progress. I think I'm giving up on this at least until I find some documentation to study. I am subscribed to this topic, so I will get to read replies even fairly far in the future.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #9 on: 20 01 2016, 19:52:20 »
There is no other way than by using IEView (and it's pretty easy with it).

* One other way would be to hack SmileyAdd somehow, but you need programming skills and I'm not sure whether it will be simply possible anyway.
* Another way (for you) would be to rewrite IEView to use e.g. Firefox's (Gecko) or Chrome's web rendering core (Webkit). Bug again, you need someone to rewrite it and it may need big amount of time and dedication.
« Last Edit: 20 01 2016, 19:54:20 by Robyer »
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

The following users thanked this post: Apollo2k4