Author Topic: Control/use Miranda NG remotely?  (Read 3911 times)

Offline flvinny521

Control/use Miranda NG remotely?
« on: 16 09 2015, 19:44:01 »
I'd like to install Miranda on my always-on server at home and connect to it from a remote PC where I don't have permissions to install applications. Can this be done? It looks like there was a plugin for Miranda IM to do this, but it's no longer hosted and doesn't look like it was working anyway.

Edit: Ideally, the plugin would provide a web interface that I can connect to via DDNS from outside my LAN. The added benefit would be one location storing all my chat history.
« Last Edit: 16 09 2015, 22:14:28 by flvinny521 »

Offline AnrDaemon

Re: Control/use Miranda NG remotely?
« Reply #1 on: 17 09 2015, 01:44:38 »
You can use Miranda on an USB stick. It defaults to portable install out of the archive.

Offline flvinny521

« Reply #2 on: 17 09 2015, 19:31:24 »
I could try that, but I'm supposed to avoid using personal USB sticks on this computer as well. If worse comes to worse I might be able to make it work, but really the main benefit I was looking for over Trillian (which I use now) would be combining all my chat history in the one client. Trillian is supposed to sync between interfaces (Windows, web, Android, etc), but in practice, it doesn't work so smoothly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #3 on: 17 09 2015, 21:08:49 »
flvinny521, I like the idea of remote use/control of Miranda as it opens ability to have Miranda for Android or also just for web. So I created an idea on our UserVoice to not forget it.

http://miranda-ng.uservoice.com/forums/250387-general/suggestions/6133785-web-android-client-as-remote-control-of-miranda

But there wasn't any dev interested to write it here yet :) In Miranda IM there was I think some script for mBot, that was doing so - or do you mean some special plugin?
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

The following users thanked this post: flvinny521

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #4 on: 18 09 2015, 01:01:17 »
I could try that, but I'm supposed to avoid using personal USB sticks on this computer as well. If worse comes to worse I might be able to make it work, but really the main benefit I was looking for over Trillian (which I use now) would be combining all my chat history in the one client. Trillian is supposed to sync between interfaces (Windows, web, Android, etc), but in practice, it doesn't work so smoothly. Thanks for the suggestion.
Any remote control would have to be a program as well. Why not just use program?…

Offline flvinny521

« Reply #5 on: 18 09 2015, 02:28:56 »
Any remote control would have to be a program as well. Why not just use program?…

I was thinking more on the terms of a web interface that would allow me to read/reply to messages simply by navigating to a pre-assigned port on my home computer and logging in with a username/password, similar to how it's done with modern torrent or usenet clients, among other things.
« Last Edit: 18 09 2015, 02:31:20 by flvinny521 »

Offline flvinny521

« Reply #6 on: 18 09 2015, 02:30:40 »
In Miranda IM there was I think some script for mBot, that was doing so - or do you mean some special plugin?

I think that script had been replaced with a standalone plugin, although I never used it and may be mistaken. I had switched to Trillian long ago and I'm not all that familiar with Miranda NG or IM.