Author Topic: Does Miranda NG support voice calls ?  (Read 9109 times)

Offline pdpavri

Does Miranda NG support voice calls ?
« on: 08 04 2015, 17:43:18 »
I have an account with GoogleTalk.  Does Miranda NG support voice calls through Google Talk ?  If so, is there any userguide I can use to set it up after downloading and installing the software on my Windows Vista laptop ? If no userguide, a few simple steps listed down would also help. Thanks.

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
Re: Does Miranda NG support voice calls ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 04 2015, 18:53:38 »
Miranda has sadly a long history of not really supporting Voice/Video chat.. mostly due to limits of most protocols and that no one yet really did a plugin to add an API for others to use...

That being said, GoogleTalk was dying, wasn't it? So no, there's nothing to support that build into Miranda, nor will it be added anytime soon. At least not for GoogleTalk (which btw. was mostly XMPP with some proprietary extensions on it)
Google failed on that one quite it bit... they started the right way, but sadly left it... They should have pushed XMPP with Audio/Video instead of doing their own "closed" stuff.
« Last Edit: 12 04 2015, 08:27:07 by White-Tiger »

Offline Testertime

« Reply #2 on: 12 04 2015, 03:39:06 »
I don't think that Miranda NG really needs this, and if, it should be a completely optional feature as plugins. Why? Because there is already an open source project for this, called Jitsi. The focus at Miranda NG should stay at it's existing (text) chat features, because it's the biggest strength of Miranda. Seriously, I haven't seen any other program which excels the features, plugins and options of Miranda NG. (Yes, Pidgin isn't really an alternative. It isn't even able to message specific Jabber clients, which important for serious use of Jabber. And it lacks so many other bloody basic options)

So if you want to make secure calls, use Jitsi. Jitsis strength is voice and video chat, Miranda NGs strength is text chat. For unencrypted voice chat there are also other applications like Ekiga.

TL;DR: Yes it would be cool to see it in the future, but Miranda NG doesn't really need this, because programs like Jitsi are already doing this. And Miranda NGs strength is text chat.
« Last Edit: 12 04 2015, 03:41:50 by Testertime »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 12 04 2015, 09:29:44 »
Just a random thing but:

Milestone: 0.97

No date set

Multimedia revolution:

phonebook support on the base of virtual contacts;
    media sessions' manager;
    support for SIP phone calls;
    support for the peer-to-peer phone & video calls;
    Jingle support.

=> http://trac.miranda-ng.org/roadmap

Offline Wave

« Reply #4 on: 12 04 2015, 11:25:47 »
I would not wait it till next year at least.

Offline watcher

« Reply #5 on: 12 04 2015, 12:19:51 »
I would not wait it till next year at least.

Indeed.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Testertime

« Reply #6 on: 13 04 2015, 11:22:51 »
Just a random thing but:

=> http://trac.miranda-ng.org/roadmap

Thanks for linking this, I have missed it somehow ;) I guess this will take at least several years, and it's a big plus if the calls are going to be encrypted like in Jitsi (if the feature will really arrive somewhere in the future). Because if I want unsecure communication, I could just use Skype.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #7 on: 14 04 2015, 22:40:40 »
Skype actually encrypt traffic.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #8 on: 15 04 2015, 07:49:14 »
There's a difference between secure with NSA peeking over your shoulder, and truly secure :p Skype is the former.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #9 on: 15 04 2015, 14:26:54 »
You're using Windows, right?

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
« Reply #10 on: 16 04 2015, 08:40:08 »
AnrDaemon, is it P2P encryption or P2S2P? the later isn't actually accepted as encryption by most security researchers :P
And I doubt that Skype uses P2P.
P2S encryption is fine if you fear stuff like "Man in the middle" (even though I don't really believe in that, unless I'm a special famous guy with lot's of secrets) but it doesn't protect you from a curious host, NSA, or security holes within the data-center your server is hosted in. (btw, I don't actually care about the NSA xD I'm smart enough to know that it's unlikely to impossible that a human reads my data, and even if one does, do I need to be ashamed of something?)
So even if you've got your own server, P2S encryption cannot be fully trusted.
« Last Edit: 16 04 2015, 08:42:45 by White-Tiger »

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #11 on: 17 04 2015, 03:27:46 »
Windows itself cannot be trusted, to begin with.

Offline Testertime

« Reply #12 on: 19 04 2015, 15:43:28 »
that it's unlikely to impossible that a human reads my data, and even if one does, do I need to be ashamed of something?)

Post everything now :P

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #13 on: 19 04 2015, 16:34:09 »
Post everything now :P

I like to quote this cool tox promotion from https://uvarov.pw/tox.html

what exactly is Tox
Tox (https://tox.im) is a free, open-source, peer-2-peer (decentralized) messenger, built around bits of DHT (BitTorrent) technology. it's designed to be as secure as possible, and the main purpose of whole project is to build open-source, spyware-free alternative to Skype.

who the hell thinks that's a good idea?
a bunch of guys on 4chan did one day, so they decided to give it a whirl. At this moment, Tox is being designed by a group named "Tox Foundation".

tl;dr, can you please explain wtf it is in one sentence?
Tox is a chat tool which purposed to be secure as hell, but easy enough to use for your grandma. got it now?

okay, but why should I use it?
the entire principle "I've got nothing to hide from {3-letter-agency}" is rotten by design. they shouldn't listen to your calls or read your mail just because it's none of their business, end of story.

but i'm no terrorist, should i use it anyway? i've got nothing to hide!
yes, you should. learn to respect yourself and your right to have your own secrets. even if all they're about is how many cats you've got.

what can i do with Tox?
send and recieve text messages, participate in video- and audio-chats (not implemented by all existing clients yet -- but it'll be), send & recieve files, and more.

where can i use Tox?
there's clients for literally every platform alive: Windows, Linux, MacOS and Android. there's also handful of plugins for existing messengers, like Pidgin or Miranda NG. unfortunately, there's no implementations for iOS or Windows Phone platforms yet.

fair enough, i'd like to try it. where to start?
https://tox.im. and don't forget to tell your friends about it.

That aside, unsane is actually being a really cool guy and he's implementing audio calls for tox new api plugin! Pretty awesome if you ask me since I currently have to have two tox accounts, one for calls which I use with utox and one for normal chats which I use with miranda. Hopefully I'll be able to use just one when unsane is done and when qtox stops holding us back from migrating over to the new api!

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #14 on: 19 04 2015, 21:49:03 »
I think, this one explains it nicely: http://xkcd.com/927/