Author Topic: Miranda NG on Linux  (Read 12313 times)

Offline qwwerty

Miranda NG on Linux
« on: 03 03 2014, 13:44:36 »
HI @all
first of all I really appreciate push in dev!  :THUMBS UP:

BUT there is one thing, which was repeated many times with old M-IM and i believe will be heard many times during your development:

Are you planning Miranda for Linux?

All of us, who tried to migrate from Windows to Linux suffered with the fact, there is no IM equivalent there.
(srsly! Pidgin and its forks are Mirandas retarded brothers with inteligence of pidgeon)
Because of that, it would be really great to import one of most versatille IM application there.

....and maybe it could be just a small step from linux to android :)

---
EDIT by Robyer: Interested users can vote for Linux support here - https://miranda-ng.uservoice.com/forums/250387-general/suggestions/16900348-add-linux-support
« Last Edit: 01 11 2016, 11:17:15 by Robyer »

Offline lukez

Miranda NG on Linux
« Reply #1 on: 03 03 2014, 13:52:48 »
Hi,

I agree with qwwerty. There isnt Linux messenger, what is like a Miranda IM.
It is problem when you want migrate to Linux, it is problem on Android OS too...

We want Linux version of Miranda NG, please!

Hope Linux version will be soon...

Thanks for reply  ;)

Offline Wishmaster

Miranda NG on Linux
« Reply #2 on: 03 03 2014, 13:56:43 »
No, just forget about it. It is way too dependant on the Win32 API, and it isn't an easy task to port it to any other operating system. The only way to use it on Linux is WINE.

Besides Miranda isn't designed to be used from a small touchscreen. This alone would require a major redesign.

Offline qwwerty

Miranda NG on Linux
« Reply #3 on: 03 03 2014, 14:00:29 »
oh...  :(
my understanding was NG is rebuilded from scratch and not using the Win API, like previous one

Offline Wishmaster

Miranda NG on Linux
« Reply #4 on: 03 03 2014, 14:11:16 »
oh...  :(
my understanding was NG is rebuilded from scratch and not using the Win API, like previous one
No, thats wrong. Who said so?

Offline watcher

Re: Miranda NG on Linux
« Reply #5 on: 03 03 2014, 19:36:37 »

It's a development of (now not so much alive) Miranda IM by former developers of Miranda IM that took different approach and made Miranda NG - nothing is from scratch.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Ret

« Reply #6 on: 24 06 2016, 14:48:18 »
I know it's been 2 years since the first post, but we're still anxious to get Miranda-NG on Linux.
Pidgin, empathy and others are poor alternatives to the gret Miranda-NG
Please!

Offline Testertime

« Reply #7 on: 29 06 2016, 14:14:41 »
Your best bet is to run Miranda NG in a virtual machine with VirtualBox. You can activate the seemless mode in VirtualBox Windows machine after the installation of the guest additions. At least this gives a half-seemless feeling. Or you could disable some plugins in Miranda NG to make it compatible with Wine. One plugin which has to be disabled is the Modern contact list. It can take some time to figure out which plugins have to be disabled to avoid a crash.
I would love a more native solution as well, but with the current user share it's understandable that this isn't a high priority at all. There are also other building sites which are in need of some development love, like some Jabber protocol enhancements. As Miranda NG seems to beat nearly all Jabber clients for Windows or computers in general, I would love to see if some improvements will happen in the future. But I guess this won't happen very soon as well.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #8 on: 30 06 2016, 12:30:35 »
There is a gulde Miranda under Wine, with a list of plugins that have been tested to work with it.
Since last year, some fixes have been added to Miranda and its plugins to avoid some Wine-related crashes.

Offline Ret

« Reply #9 on: 01 07 2016, 15:29:06 »
Thank you for replying!
I tried a lot of Linux alternatives but none are as good and flexible as Miranda-NG ! :'(
I'm now using it under wine (with clist_nicer).. I think MSN and Facebook don't work correctly.
Hope you have Linux port on your mind!
Thank you again for developing Miranda-NG!

Offline Robyer

« Reply #10 on: 01 11 2016, 11:16:38 »
Just to gather info about how many people are interested in the better Linux support...

Vote here please: https://miranda-ng.uservoice.com/forums/250387-general/suggestions/16900348-add-linux-support
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.