Author Topic: Miranda NG freezes when I type in contact list  (Read 5179 times)

Offline riki

Miranda NG freezes when I type in contact list
« on: 06 02 2014, 20:29:38 »
Hello, I am a former Miranda user, I switched to Miranda NG already 6 months ago (maybe more, not sure) and I like the way it works.

I have a problem: in (old) Miranda, I was used to typing the name of a contact when the contact list is in focus. This would select the first matching contact in the list. The response was quick. Now when I do the same, Miranda NG freezes for quite a few seconds, so it is not an effective thing to do, bacause it will make Miranda totally unresponsive. Is there a way around this?

Offline Robyer

Re: Miranda NG freezes when I type in contact list
« Reply #1 on: 07 02 2014, 18:22:58 »
Options / Contact list / Extra (last tab) - uncheck Use improved filtering in contact list  (or something like that, I'm guessing from my translated Miranda).
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline riki

« Reply #2 on: 07 02 2014, 18:52:51 »
No such option in my Miranda... strange. Maybe because I use clist_nicer? Is it an option I can change by editing any config-file?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #3 on: 07 02 2014, 19:33:57 »
Oh, yes, it's for clist_modern. Then I don't know what could be wrong - maybe someone else will help.
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline riki

« Reply #4 on: 08 02 2014, 21:23:07 »
Yes, I've verified it works with clist_modern. However, even the other setting (when "use improved filtering in contact list" is checked/on) doesn't introduce a freezing delay. Unfortunately, I don't like clist_modern because it eats much more vertical space so I have to scroll my list all the time, which is uncomfortable. Besides, it appears to be quite a bit slower on my old machine.

So the problem is with clist_nicer. While using clist_nicer, I tried incorporating the (unused) setting "use improved filtering in contact list" into Miranda via db-editor++, (by the way, it's the binary (byte) value /Settings/CLC/FilterSearch) and it doesn't have any effect either set to 0 or 1 - as expected. Miranda still freezes when typing a search straight into the contact list.

However, while experimenting I noticed that soon after switching from clist_modern back to clist_nicer, there is no freezing until the next Miranda restart. So I think the glitch might be within Miranda initialization code itself, and clist_modern in some way resets/cleans the problem, while clist_nicer does not. Just a hint for the developers. Do you think I should post a notice somewhere else in these forums?

Offline watcher

« Reply #5 on: 08 02 2014, 21:29:49 »
Do you think I should post a notice somewhere else in these forums?

No. we've got it, we'll look into it.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline ghazan

« Reply #6 on: 16 02 2014, 20:27:17 »
riki, would you please provide us with the Process Explorer thread's watcher window screenshot?
when you catch your Miranda hung

Offline riki

« Reply #7 on: 17 02 2014, 00:26:58 »
Thanks ghazan, of course!

I found out that Process Explorer is a member of the Sysinternals suite and launched it, but I can't find the thread viewer window. Searching the helpfile didn't help. Maybe it's the main window? If not, please instruct me.

Here are a few screenshots taken before, during and after such a hanging. I typed "block you" in Miranda window, and it took approximately 1 minute to process the 9 keystrokes.

Offline watcher

« Reply #8 on: 17 02 2014, 08:44:55 »
Double click on Miranda32.exe.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline riki

« Reply #9 on: 17 02 2014, 11:14:05 »
Allright, found it, thanks!
Here is a series of screenshots zipped up into 3 archives (to overcome the attachment size limit).
« Last Edit: 17 02 2014, 11:31:40 by riki »