Author Topic: HiDPI skin  (Read 8691 times)

Offline yoGhurt

HiDPI skin
« on: 17 08 2014, 19:48:14 »
Hi,
For a few days, i'm trying to convert my actually used skin to HiDPI. I searched something in Internet about converting images to HiDPI but for sure i done sth wrong.
So, just I like read on some websites,  i copied in Photoshop source images to new project file with DPI 400 instead of 72. Next, i saved them in same image format like original file in destination folder. Finally, i refreshed skin in Miranda and hoped it will work, but it didn't.
For information, i'm using bunnyhoney skin, where all elements are in one file called "Sprites".
Anyone have some idea about this problem?

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
Re: HiDPI skin
« Reply #1 on: 19 08 2014, 23:05:17 »
what exactly are you trying to do?

Also: the higher the DPI the smaller the picture... you can't just increase the DPI inside an image and get higher quality... the image will just be smaller with higher DPI :P And resampling the image might even be worse
« Last Edit: 19 08 2014, 23:07:16 by White-Tiger »

Offline yoGhurt

« Reply #2 on: 20 08 2014, 21:36:29 »
Exactly, i'm trying to make my Miranda not blury on HiDPI screen.
If making image HiDPI makes it smaller, then why icons for HiDPI screens aren't made bigger (because i understand, that's your point), but only made in different way?

Offline White-Tiger

• Developer
  • SendSS maintainer
« Reply #3 on: 21 08 2014, 00:56:16 »
they are actually bigger^^ I hope you know how huge 1136×640 pixels is on a PC... well that it the size of an iPhone 5 screen.
So a 16×16 icon would be like 4×4 on a PC (guess.. might be a bit larger)

Offline yoGhurt

« Reply #4 on: 22 08 2014, 23:29:13 »
Yes, they are, but also they have higher DPI then normal image. I can also agree that iPhone 've got that resolution and because of that it has so high PPI. Anyways, it makes somehow sense that images for skin have to be bigger BUT, there have to be scaling for them too - to have good proportions on screen. So next question, how to do that propperly?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #5 on: 23 08 2014, 08:47:59 »
I'm not sure if there isn't need of code changes in clist_modern to properly support HiDPI. Maybe someone more experienced could clarify that :-)
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline yoGhurt

« Reply #6 on: 25 08 2014, 21:06:08 »
I'm not sure if there isn't need of code changes in clist_modern to properly support HiDPI. Maybe someone more experienced could clarify that :-)
You've got a point - question is there any need to add some classes in all interface plugins like tabsrmm, ieview etc. or only in core. If that so, my tries are useless until this function will be available.

Offline yoGhurt

« Reply #7 on: 10 09 2014, 20:14:07 »
Sorry for double post, but i hope thanks to this, someone would look here (i don't want to create another topic somewhere else and also i don't want to send feature request on uservoice it this wouldn't be need) and answer if this is core, plugin or just skin related problem to have clear view on this and go forward with making skin or sending feature request.