Author Topic: Nickname change question popup  (Read 3964 times)

Offline CP1832

Nickname change question popup
« on: 19 08 2022, 22:56:00 »
Hi guys:

Sorry to bother but whenever I get disconnected and reconnected to IRC, I get this question popup saying that my nickname is already in use even though I have an alternative nick properly set:

Is there any way to disable this popup?

Offline dartraiden

Re: Nickname change question popup
« Reply #1 on: 21 08 2022, 23:22:58 »
I cannot reproduce.

- I created an account on libera.chat
- set up nick and alternative nick in account settings
- login to IRC
- unplug the network cable
- close Miranda
- plug network cable
- login to IRC again

result: Miranda is used my alternative nickname

Maybe your alternative nick has already been taken by another person. Or you got disconnected twice in a short period of time, so both sessions with both your nicknames are still active.
« Last Edit: 21 08 2022, 23:24:57 by dartraiden »

The following users thanked this post: CP1832

Offline CP1832

« Reply #2 on: 25 08 2022, 23:02:52 »
I cannot reproduce.

- I created an account on libera.chat
- set up nick and alternative nick in account settings
- login to IRC
- unplug the network cable
- close Miranda
- plug network cable
- login to IRC again

result: Miranda is used my alternative nickname

Maybe your alternative nick has already been taken by another person. Or you got disconnected twice in a short period of time, so both sessions with both your nicknames are still active.
Thanks for the reply dartraiden. Probably the alternate nick is taken. Regardless, is there any way to disable that question popup?

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #3 on: 25 08 2022, 23:51:51 »
I think no. Also, I don't see the point in turning it off. In this case, the protocol will not be able to connect without a nickname.

Try playing with the "React on login error" option in KeepStatus settings (you can set some delay (~2-5 min?) to wait until your last session timed out and the old nickname is released). But this will work only if Miranda considers this "nickname already in use" error as a login error (I don't know if it does).

« Last Edit: 26 08 2022, 00:02:37 by dartraiden »

Offline CP1832

« Reply #4 on: 26 08 2022, 02:50:57 »
I think no. Also, I don't see the point in turning it off. In this case, the protocol will not be able to connect without a nickname.

Try playing with the "React on login error" option in KeepStatus settings (you can set some delay (~2-5 min?) to wait until your last session timed out and the old nickname is released). But this will work only if Miranda considers this "nickname already in use" error as a login error (I don't know if it does).
Apparently, "nickname already in use" doesn't seem to be a login error. Thanks again dartraiden.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #5 on: 28 10 2022, 11:13:22 »
Libera supports SASL authentication. If you can set it up, the problem with nickname collisions will go away.

Offline hydrogen fluoride

« Reply #6 on: 29 10 2022, 09:30:24 »
I confirm. But it's not a bug. You nick really still on the server. I don't know why it stucks, but it's possible.