Author Topic: Why the Discord.dll plugin was abandoned?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ULTIMA PRIME

Why the Discord.dll plugin was abandoned?
« on: 01 02 2022, 19:14:22 »
When updating plugins, I have Deprecated at Discord.dll

This is one of the protocols for which I use Miranda NG - why he was abandoned?

When I manually restore the plugin, the protocol works, but it is removed with each plugin update

Offline dartraiden

Re: Why the Discord.dll plugin was abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: 01 02 2022, 22:54:47 »
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/2994

Switch to the stable version and do not update to 0.96

Offline ULTIMA PRIME

« Reply #2 on: 11 02 2022, 21:54:57 »
Thank you for the answer.

Offline Thug

« Reply #3 on: 19 02 2022, 20:42:48 »
dartraiden, "DIscord will be removed from the dev channel in the next build. It will be maintained in a stable version until the next release."
Why removing it? Why not just keep it "as is"?
« Last Edit: 20 02 2022, 11:00:59 by Thug »

Offline ghazan

« Reply #4 on: 21 02 2022, 20:13:51 »
Thug,
because people lose their accounts forever, without any chance to unblock them

Offline Thug

« Reply #5 on: 21 02 2022, 20:43:11 »
ghazan, I thought they lose them when trying to "sniff the transmitted data between the browser client and server or send a request that an official client wouldn't make".
So using the stable plugin should be safe.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #6 on: 22 02 2022, 15:13:44 »
@Thug ,

Even the current (stable) plugin was written this way - by basically seeing what the official client does and imitating it.

A while back, they (Discord) were able to more or less prevent all of the unofficial clients from connecting, no matter what. So they probably have some kind of "special" internal response that we haven't really been able to replicate.

They did eventually revert this change and allowed the connections again, but... we are very much at their mercy.

And using the plugin is absolutely against Discord's TOS. While they don't instaban you, they could do it at any point.

As time progresses and the API and the official client gets updated, our Miranda will stand out more and more until eventually either it will stop being able to connect (or we will get out accounts banned).

This is why the discord plugin has been deprecated; because attempts to keep it in line with the official client have caused the devs' discord accounts to get banned, so now there is no guarantee how long it will keep working nor what will happen to those who keep using it.

It is very unfortunate Discord took this stance. Be it as it may, Discord has now mostly replaced Skype (which previously replaced MSN), but just like all these, Discord has been making really unpopular changes to the API and service.

It was a sad day when I saw the plugin was deprecated, but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

My advice to you, if you use Discord in Miranda, do so only with the absolute acceptance of the fact you could get your account banned at any point in time, even if your Miranda doesn't do anything weird to the protocol.

The following users thanked this post: dartraiden