Author Topic: starting miranda ng as non-privileged user (no admin)  (Read 3515 times)

Offline rotefantas2

good day to you gentlemen!

i am glad that you keep miranda ng up forever and ever!

since my last post everytime i install miranda i take a fresh look to this page https://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=6045

and enjoy using miranda because it works just awesome ... but wait what is this?

a computer/laptop/tablet-pc windows 10 64 bit newest build all updates installed and it has let's say 3 accounts? one is administrator (high privileges) and the other two are non-privileged user (no admin).

usually i install miranda ng on admin account non-portable (standard install) and it works great on the one and only admin account (don't know about other admin accounts but i think they will work too if there is not only one admin account on one pc.). the 2 non-privileged users won't open miranda. if i open it in c:/program files/miranda ng/miranda64.exe then an error accours. if i try to install it again from one of the non-privileged then i must choose another directory or portable but in the end it doesn't work either. i can't deinstall it from non-privileged but from admin account

i know that if i deinstall it, then reinstall it from non-privileged, it works on admin accounts and on the account with non-privileged rights where i started the installation.

i know windows 10 has weird UAC admin privileges system and rules, but i hoped until this date, that i can use miranda on a fresh installed pc with many accounts with no problems like libreoffice adobe reader sumatrapdf 7zip (except it's usage of privilege rights to change the settings) firefox thunderbird edge xodo from ms store µtorrent word excel powerpoint paint gimp handbrake ........

Offline Vulpix

Re: starting miranda ng as non-privileged user (no admin)
« Reply #1 on: 05 08 2020, 12:43:56 »
I would just not install Miranda at all. Miranda (the zipped version, at least) doesn't need any "portable" settings or anything like that, it doesn't write anything to registry or so... it's portable by default. Simply take miranda (the zipped version), plonk it down in a directory the user can use and set it up. Then also do the same for all the other users, so that each of them has their own copy of miranda. That way they can even run concurrently (say if you do fast user switching and such).

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #2 on: 06 08 2020, 15:02:13 »
if i open it in c:/program files/miranda ng/miranda64.exe then an error accours.
Move profiles dir to AppData

mirandaboot.ini
Code: [Select]
ProfileDir=%APPDATA%\Miranda NG
Each account will be able to run Miranda and have a separate profile in their AppData.
« Last Edit: 06 08 2020, 15:09:15 by dartraiden »

The following users thanked this post: Vulpix

Offline rotefantas2

« Reply #3 on: 09 08 2020, 19:16:04 »
Move profiles dir to AppData

mirandaboot.ini
Each account will be able to run Miranda and have a separate profile in their AppData.

interesting but could you be more specific?

;This file contains the information required to get Miranda up and running,
;i.e., everything before a database is loaded

;Settings relating to the location and loading of the database
[Database]

;ProfileDir
;The directory to search for database files. If it's a relative path then
;it's relative to the directory containing Miranda32.exe / Miranda64.exe.
;If no directory specified Profiles subdirectory in Miranda executable
;directory is assumed. You can use environment variables.
;To comply with Windows security guidelines, it is recommended to keep
;your profile in %APPDATA%\Miranda NG

Offline rotefantas2

« Reply #4 on: 09 08 2020, 19:17:41 »
i have this folder
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Miranda NG\admin
there are some files in it

Offline rotefantas2

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #6 on: 09 08 2020, 19:57:33 »
According to your mirandaboot.ini you should be able to run Miranda as non-privileged user.
What error are you getting?

Offline rotefantas2

« Reply #7 on: 11 10 2020, 17:24:55 »
According to your mirandaboot.ini you should be able to run Miranda as non-privileged user.
What error are you getting?