Author Topic: MSN gone, ICQ contacts disappeared  (Read 3119 times)

Offline riki

MSN gone, ICQ contacts disappeared
« on: 20 04 2020, 10:46:31 »
Hello, the last update made MSN plugin disappear. I think it's because of MS shutting down the protocol for good? Luckily, my old contacts and histories are still there, so it's OK.

On the other hand, since a few weeks (months?) my old ICQ contacts appear as [deleted] and the histories aren't there anymore. This is bad news for me. Is there a way I can recover the histories?

Offline dartraiden

Re: MSN gone, ICQ contacts disappeared
« Reply #1 on: 21 04 2020, 19:28:03 »
Hello, the last update made MSN plugin disappear. I think it's because of MS shutting down the protocol for good? Luckily, my old contacts and histories are still there, so it's OK.
Yes, MSN was deprecated. See plugin page for details.

On the other hand, since a few weeks (months?) my old ICQ contacts appear as [deleted] and the histories aren't there anymore. This is bad news for me. Is there a way I can recover the histories?
You can import history from backup (if you have backup). We rolled out a fix against deleting [deleted] long ago, apparently, you update the program very rarely. Set up regular updates check...

btw, [deleted] =  deleted from ICQ system due to inactivity, so these people lost their accounts forever
« Last Edit: 21 04 2020, 19:31:23 by dartraiden »

Offline riki

« Reply #2 on: 22 04 2020, 14:33:09 »
Hello dartraiden, thanks for your reply. I will update MSN to dummy to keep contact histories.

I do have some backups, although I disabled the autobackups module because it produced truncated backups and stalled Miranda. I'll check to see if it's working for me now.

As for ICQ, I believe I always update almost immediately, but I switched to stable because I had db issues with the beta versions of Miranda. Could you point me to a description of how to restore histories and contacts without breaking the database or bloating it with duplicates?

A new problem: a power shortage must have done some serious damage to my database! This happened right now. I restored my newest backup (from 4 April 2020), but some old messages in the Facebook account now show strings like STK{369239263222822} in place of smilies. More importantly, all the messages from 4 April to today are lost to Miranda, which isn't getting them back from the FB server. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #3 on: 22 04 2020, 14:54:40 »
a power shortage must have done some serious damage to my database
Yes and this is described in our wiki.
https://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Plugin:Dbx_mdbx

This database driver might suffer problems because of PC instability or disk damages. Thus that's vitally important to make backups once a day to minimize the chance of data loss.

Offline ghazan

« Reply #4 on: 22 04 2020, 14:59:06 »
STK{369239263222822} is really a sticker, implemented as a custom smiley.
Current FB implementation doesn't retrieve missing histories from server, unfortunately, you only could try to import old profile

Offline riki

« Reply #5 on: 23 04 2020, 12:51:56 »
Thanks for clarifying, Ghazan. I've been trying to restore my ICQ [deleted] contacts and other messages from old backups, but there are some problems (source file unreadable). I'll retry from scratch as soon as I have time, and post again if I need help.

As for Facebook, now the plugin can send messages, but doesn't receive new messages anymore.
It was all fine before the power failure crash.
Miranda NG Version: 0.95.11 build #22551 (2e38b4587f)
Facebook.dll v.0.1.0.5 [15 Apr 2020 13:24:04]

Maybe I should pinpoint the problem better, and post in the Facebook plugin forum.

Thanks from an old Miranda user (pre-NG) to everyone here for generously offering their time and help!

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #6 on: 25 04 2020, 18:40:44 »
source file unreadable
If backup in MMAP format, you need to install dbx_mmap plugin to import.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #7 on: 25 04 2020, 18:41:17 »
As for Facebook, now the plugin can send messages, but doesn't receive new messages anymore.
We need netlog

Offline riki

« Reply #8 on: 26 04 2020, 18:55:10 »
Great, thanks. I'll post in the Facebook thread because of relevance.