Author Topic: MirOTR: need an option to stop OTR on my side when the other side logged off  (Read 3417 times)

Offline helix

Hello, guys!
I'm using latest stable version and there's a thing that annoys me. Not sure it's a bug, but maybe you could make a work-around option for it.

I constantly chat with people over jabber using OTR.
Problem:
we've been chatting with OTR activated. Now every time me or the other side contact goes offline or reconnects (goes offline and then back online) I have a message like "User stopped OTR communication and you should do that too", and the blue (active) OTR lock in message window turns orange. Orange probably signals that OTR is still active on my side with prevoius key, but the other side went offline and I should stop OTR.
btw, I have option "End sessions when contacts go offline" set.

Now, it annoys very much to click on that orange lock and manually select "Stop OTR session", so that then new OTR sessions with new keys could be activated. If I don't do that we can't chat in no way.
When the connection is unreliable I may need to click "Stop OTR session" every time me or the user reconnects.

As I understand "Stop OTR session" doesn't happen automatically so that I would never send clear-text message while I was thinking it was active. But could you maybe implement an 'use-at-your-own-caution' option to make it happen after some time-out (to prevent sending clear-text message just after it unexpectedly turned off)?

So if I type a message and OTR dies, miranda would keep orange lock for a minute or two, and then after displaying "User stopped OTR communication, you're now sending clear-text"-caution it would turn OTR off to grey lock.

What do you think?

PS What does option "End sessions when contacts go offline" mean? Does it only displays "User stopped OTR communication and you should do that too" message and turns blue lock to orange, while continuing using the same keys as before? Cause it doesn't really `ends` the session.

A topic with some stuff on it too:
MirOTR: Missing unencrypted messages with system messages disabled - http://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=4291.0

Offline Robyer

But could you maybe implement an 'use-at-your-own-caution' option to make it happen after some time-out (to prevent sending clear-text message just after it unexpectedly turned off)?
Maybe I've got better idea - when user is in this situation and you try to send him a message, what about showing a messagebox saying that OTR was stopped and asking you whether you want to start new OTR session (buttons: yes,start / no, just end it)?
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline helix

Robyer
I guess that would only work when one set "Show OTR system messages as popup" as I have now?

Ideally I would like to turn this option off, cause it alerts me too often in my case :)
Actually I set it On only recently to see when I have to re-set OTR session.

Offline Robyer

I guess that would only work when one set "Show OTR system messages as popup" as I have now?
That depends on how one implements it. I'm not working at it, but I just think that having "deterministic" (always same) behavior is better than "random" which behaves differently now and after some time delay.

I'm not even using MirOTR. I was trying it in the past but the user experience was too bad for me. And perhaps I have nothing so secure to talk about with others... :-)
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.