Author Topic: Tox protocol  (Read 165727 times)

Offline santa

Re: Tox
« Reply #105 on: 29 09 2014, 20:31:40 »
There is an issue with copying contact's ID with context menu. It was truncated from 76 to 64 chars.
TabSRMM header shows truncated ID too.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #106 on: 29 09 2014, 20:41:34 »
From what I understand, this is how Tox works by design. You can never copy the contact's ID because the nospam+checksum part will never be in it, as it is possible to change this in most of the clients. The full ID is only required for the initial authentication (adding a contact) and no longer for the actual communication; so changing your nospam value doesn't make you unable to chat with your friends; but this also means that you cannot "share a contact" with anyone else, unless the contact themselves tells you the current, full ID.

See:

https://github.com/notsecure/uTox/issues/325

https://github.com/tux3/qTox/issues/235

https://github.com/notsecure/uTox/issues/250
« Last Edit: 29 09 2014, 20:45:18 by Vulpix »

Offline santa

« Reply #107 on: 29 09 2014, 20:46:36 »
So it's a feature by protocol design. Thanks, I do not know about it)

Trying to add contact form Miranda list to antox by copying ID and writing it on phone, but have an Invalid ToxID message. May be, simpler way is to copy tox_save on phone.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #108 on: 29 09 2014, 20:50:42 »
Hehe, yep, I tried something similar too :D And found out that copying the tox profile is the best idea. Since they are all compatible - as they all use toxcore :3 Though, you can't be online on both at the same time. Again, a tox issue (though they said they may make this possible at some point - online on multiple devices at the same time on the same profile)

Post Merge: 30 09 2014, 08:18:14
Avatars are working, however there are 2 issues:

1) Avatars for my contacts don't update unless I relog, i.e. they won't see my avatar unless I go offline and online.
2) clicking "offline" on tox protocol and then clicking "online" makes tox sign back in within 0.1 seconds (too fast, in other words), and what happens then is that all of the tox contacts show as offline. Even if they are online. And you can chat with them too! I.e. the protocol does, in fact, reconnect - but miranda doesn't show the contacts as online. Something is wrong there.
« Last Edit: 30 09 2014, 08:18:14 by Vulpix »

Offline watcher

« Reply #109 on: 30 09 2014, 19:34:57 »
Binaries updated to r10654. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #110 on: 30 09 2014, 19:37:32 »
) clicking "offline" on tox protocol and then clicking "online" makes tox sign back in within 0.1 seconds (too fast, in other words), and what happens then is that all of the tox contacts show as offline. Even if they are online. And you can chat with them too! I.e. the protocol does, in fact, reconnect - but miranda doesn't show the contacts as online. Something is wrong there.

Confirming - quick off and then on does not return contacts online.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #111 on: 02 10 2014, 20:17:47 »
Binaries updated to r10669. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.

Post Merge: 02 10 2014, 21:17:03
Binaries updated to r10672. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.
« Last Edit: 04 10 2014, 12:43:46 by watcher »
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #112 on: 04 10 2014, 12:43:58 »
Binaries updated to r10681. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #113 on: 04 10 2014, 14:24:38 »
Tox now works through a proxy (i.e. with tor/vidalia)! (It respects the network settings). :THUMBS UP: (tox protocol state sticky updated)

However, tox will disrespect these settings if IPv6 / UDP is enabled (which is the default state).

Would it be possible to make it so that when you set proxy for Tox connection, it would prompt you that you have to set tox to not use ipv6 + UDP; or perhaps just notify the user and do so automatically?

Otherwise, great stuff~!

Offline watcher

« Reply #114 on: 04 10 2014, 18:25:21 »
Binaries updated to r10688. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #115 on: 05 10 2014, 13:30:33 »
When sending files to a remote target, even after the transfer finishes (successfully!), the source files become locked, i.e. you cannot delete or edit them. Miranda has to be turned off first.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #116 on: 10 10 2014, 11:55:41 »
Latest tox -  r10688(and I am not sure, but it might be a build before that as well, or maybe several :X I don't have them anymore to test this) is corrupting the <profile>.tox tox-save file.

Every miranda restart, the file grows by 50-250kb. Changes made (for example added contacts) are not saved when you log off. I assume something is wrong with writing the tox profile back to the tox save file, because when miranda is running, there are no issues.

This can manifest itself as contacts being offline forever (because miranda still sees the contact as it's in its contact database) but tox doesn't - since the tox contact is not in the tox profile.

My tox profile was now 5MB big - it should not be more than several dozen or hundred kilobytes at best.

Loading the tox profile in utox will fix this corruption - and revert the file to its normal state. As a workaround, I have re-added the people I previously added on miranda via tox - and this caused the changes to be saved in the tox profile, and upon copying it back to miranda's profile folder, I was finally able to see those people online again.

I hope this gets fixed soon, because I'm afraid my tox profile will become completely corrupted.

Offline Alberto

« Reply #117 on: 20 10 2014, 14:12:03 »
Every miranda restart, the file grows by 50-250kb.
I can confirm this here.

Another thing is handling of avatar files. At the moment Miranda will always create a folder AvatarCache\Tox in my database folder. So support for folders plugin would be nice.
« Last Edit: 21 10 2014, 09:25:04 by Alberto »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #118 on: 10 11 2014, 10:22:49 »
Development of Tox plugin is on hold and the latest versions are somewhat unusable. Awaiting Unsane's return and/or someone else's effort into the plugin.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #119 on: 22 11 2014, 11:25:45 »
Vulpix-sponsored bounty:

$500 if you fix tox plugin to work properly:

- latest tox binaries
- everything has to work - filetransfers (this means they work regardless of filesize, even on big files), regular chat (+ /me actions), adding/removing contacts, proper storing in tox savefile, avatars.

$800 if it doesn't take longer than 2 months.

$100 up-front if you at least make the latest plugin not corrupt the savefile (bloats/grows everytime you restart miranda).

I am willing to betatest and bug-check, I am a heavy miranda tox user.

Payment via paypal.

I know you guys don't accept donations, so I'm putting up a bounty. I love miranda and I love tox, and currently it's just not working at all with the latest versions.