Author Topic: Next version question  (Read 5137 times)

Octopuss

Next version question
« on: 01 01 2014, 10:41:12 »
I feel slightly bad for asking this, because I know how much devs hate it, but... Do you guys have any ROUGH estimate when next major version (0.95 or?) could be released?
I decided to finally switch from the original Miranda, because despite only using ICQ and very very few plugins, the program is completely on its arse, and noticeably bugged.

Offline watcher

Re: Next version question
« Reply #1 on: 01 01 2014, 11:00:08 »
NG is more bugged than IM? In what ways?

Post Merge: 31 12 2013, 19:12:23
We don't hate the question - we simply don't know, we haven't finished 0.94 yet, although it's almost finished, but if you are asking about stable 0.95 - could take months, 0.94 was cooking for 6 month at least. Main problem is - what was working in Miranda IM - only god knows whн it was working at all - code-wise, it's just scary how many clutches were and still are there - when you make a massive global change (fix those clutches), then even more than with most programs  - something breaks (because of the abundant amateur approach to coding in Miranda IM plugins) . We need more and more reports about what is wrong, and most important - steps to repeat it.

Post Merge: 31 12 2013, 21:12:31
We made massive changes to the code (most of them absolutely unseen to user's eye, cause they internal) - Miranda IM was Unicode only on the paper, it had ANSI stuff all over it - all of it had to be rewritten and even if it seems not important now - it will have undoubted benefits in a near future, starting with a new database driver which wil support true metacontacts instead of a fake and dangerous that we have now.

Post Merge: 31 12 2013, 23:12:33
We chose a rough path and we have a long way to go - but for me Miranda NG is way better than Miranda IM ever was (and i'm an active user since 2002).
« Last Edit: 01 01 2014, 12:13:22 by watcher »
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #2 on: 01 01 2014, 11:16:17 »
The main thing about bugs - bug that ghazan can successfully reproduce on his machine is good as dead, so please - bare this in mind. If we don't know about some bug or can't repeat it, we can't fix it.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Octopuss

« Reply #3 on: 01 01 2014, 12:49:06 »
Oh no, I meant the original Miranda is in horrible state, which is why I decided to make the switch some time soon ;D

Offline watcher

« Reply #4 on: 01 01 2014, 12:54:38 »
Oh no, I meant the original Miranda is in horrible state, which is why I decided to make the switch some time soon ;D

Thanks! Anyway - our NG have some unexpected bugs too sometimes, so all of the written above still good (if someone else chooses to read it) ;D, but overall i think we are already way better than Miranda IM, just cause of all the fixes and clean-ups. And it's time that we add some new features too - and we will.
« Last Edit: 01 01 2014, 12:56:18 by watcher »
Please read forum rules.