Author Topic: How to copy/transfer settings between profiles  (Read 1734 times)

Offline mirful

How to copy/transfer settings between profiles
« on: 01 05 2021, 00:38:41 »
Hi,

I have setup my main Miranda profile to my liking and I would like to copy the same settings to a few other profiles as well (friends and family). Of course I could go through all the settings in every profile manually and set them the same way, but given the large amount of settings in question, that would be a tedious and overly time consuming process. That's why I'd like to know if there's a way to do this in a more practical manner, by somehow copying or transferring my settings to a different profile. I'm talking about all Miranda settings except for personal stuff that obviously can't be the same (logins, contacts). I have the option to create these other profiles from scratch if it helps.

Offline Vulpix

Re: How to copy/transfer settings between profiles
« Reply #1 on: 01 05 2021, 06:11:21 »
I used to do this back in the day to give miranda to my friends and family. Basically I'd make a full copy of my profile using the copy all settings but no histories option, and then in the new profile I deleted all the accounts (to delete personal stuff like logins and whanot). I don't know if there is a better option. DBeditor++ is your friend to doublecheck that there are no personal settings in your profile.

Once you make this one "slim" profile once, you can just keep using it from that point onwards to share with friends, I reckon.

Offline mirful

« Reply #2 on: 01 05 2021, 12:04:06 »
Thanks Vulpix.

Basically I'd make a full copy of my profile using the copy all settings but no histories option

Apologies, where's the "copy all settings but no histories option"? I was thinking to perhaps just make a copy of my .dat file, rename it as necessary, start Miranda with that one and then remove everything that doesn't belong in someone else's profile. But I'm not sure if that would actually get me a clean profile, or whether it would keep some references to my original one I'd start with, or for some reason just not work right.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #3 on: 03 05 2021, 16:45:17 »
Database Editor -> Export -> All settings. Resulting .ini contains all settings include accounts. You can remove accounts (sections like [ICQ_1], etc) manually in any text editor. Next launch Miranda with Ctrl pressed, choose new profile name, tick "Start in service mode with DbEditorPP", and Import -> From a file. Now you can give this profile to your friends.

« Last Edit: 03 05 2021, 16:52:19 by dartraiden »