Author Topic: Steam the 3443344th  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Maverick

Steam the 3443344th
« on: 21 02 2021, 17:09:23 »
Hi,

sorry, but when gets the Plugin finally fixed?

- Plugin disconnects after a while in silence
- Online/Offline Status from Contacts is not shown properly (ppl are marked as Online and are Offline and vice versa)
- still now shown which Game a Contact plays (i still have to use Steamchat on my Phone to check...)

- NEW: Messages are not received properly anymore (i have Steamchat on my Smartphone and i get all Messages,  but with MIranda, more and more often i dont receive any)

With current Miranda Update, Messagewindow Size (own Chattext Part) isnt stored properly for Steam, but i think its a overall issue and not just Steam. I use Miranda only for Steam, since most of my Contact stopped using different Messenger Services and since Telegram is still not supported after few Years... for now ive downgraded, since newer Updates always had Issues.
« Last Edit: 21 02 2021, 17:17:14 by Maverick »

Offline ghazan

Re: Steam the 3443344th
« Reply #1 on: 22 02 2021, 13:29:54 »
Maverick,
Plugin disconnects after a while in silence
Yes, as expected. You need StatusManager plugin, which keeps a protocol connected.

Online/Offline Status from Contacts is not shown properly (ppl are marked as Online and are Offline and vice versa)
Miranda just displays what it receives from the server. If Miranda stops after disconnection, it doesn't receive status updates anymore, of course.

- still now shown which Game a Contact plays (i still have to use Steamchat on my Phone to check...)
This information is displayes as a status message for the appropriate contact. You can enable it in Clist_Modern in Options - Contact list - Row items

Messages are not received properly anymore
Oh, please :)

Offline Maverick

« Reply #2 on: 23 02 2021, 01:33:39 »
Yes, as expected. You need StatusManager plugin, which keeps a protocol connected.

I have that Plugin since Years...

Miranda just displays what it receives from the server. If Miranda stops after disconnection, it doesn't receive status updates anymore, of course.

What a surprise that no Data is transfered when there is no connection, great that you found that out.

Not all the time... and i even reported that almost 2 Years ago. Online as Offline and vice versa.

When the Plugin disconnects in silence because it does not notice that the connection was lost, then there is no proper timeout. Especially when the Plugin does not notice that as well and does not reconnect.

When someone sends me a Message when im offline, its 50/50 if the Messages is shown or not. Most of the time it gets transfered, but sometimes it does not. And within the last 2 Weeks, this happend several times. And with Online/Offline Contacts, this has been the case for 2 years now. I always have to reconnect manually to see if someone has written something. As i wrote now 3 times: It happens that someone wrote something, but the Plugin doesnt show it.

When a Contact goes offline, the Server sends that Status Update and the Plugin usually does not recognize that properly. I start repeating.

Steamchat on my Phone can handle this properly.
Official Steam Client can handle this properly as well... well, its the official Client, so i expect that to work properly.

This information is displays as a status message for the appropriate contact. You can enable it in Clist_Modern in Options - Contact list - Row items

Thx. Works. Did not came into my mind, searching for Status Update... :-\

Offline Ratha

« Reply #3 on: 24 02 2021, 16:45:02 »
Many of these issues do exist, and are probably somewhat related.

Quote from: Maverick on 21 02 2021, 17:09:23 - Plugin disconnects after a while in silence
Quote from: ghazan on 22 02 2021, 13:29:54 - Yes, as expected. You need StatusManager plugin, which keeps a protocol connected.
(Turns out i cant figure out how to properly quote a message for some reason.)

StatusManager helps when the protocol knowingly disconnects. But there are many cases where Miranda thinks it is online, and actually isnt. In some of those cases, StatusManager cant do anything because Miranda still believes that it has not lost connection. (A state which can persist for many hours unnoticed.)

I can confirm:
Miranda's Steam protocol will occasionally experience a silent disconnect. When this happens Miranda still shows you as being online, and your friends still show as online / playing their games, but the client never receives another update. If you try to send a message while in this state, it will fail and tell you that you are offline, but will not actually set the protocol status to offline or attempt to reconnect you. (I have mixed feelings about whether or not it should.)

Without knowing the cause to this problem, one hacky workaround might be to assume that if Miranda has not received any update data from Steam within a certain time range (5-10 minutes?) that something has gone wrong and that it should try to reconnect.

One of the problems that Miranda has with Steam though is that sometimes when connecting, it downloads (some) data, some messages, some friend information, and then disconnects immediately after, though again it does not realize it has been disconnected, so you only know that you are not actually online when you see someone you know should be online, or when you try to send a message (because it looks like you are online.)

Another issue that exists:
Miranda does not show custom game statuses, so anyone who is playing a "Non Steam Game" through Steam will show as if they are not playing any game at all.

You also mentioned this issue: "NEW: Messages are not received properly anymore (i have Steamchat on my Smartphone and i get all Messages,  but with MIranda, more and more often i dont receive any)"
There was a bug that was fixed back in January which i reported: #2692 - "Messages received by Steam client first are not downloaded after logging into Miranda" And that was fixed on Jan 20, 2021. If you've not updated your development build since then, chances are you do not have that fix. (I dont know when the stable was last updated admittedly.)
« Last Edit: 24 02 2021, 16:56:39 by Ratha »

Offline Maverick

« Reply #4 on: 26 02 2021, 19:54:26 »
I have that Build and cant upgrade, because of this annoying new Feature they implemented by not storing Chatwindow properly.