Author Topic: Since updating to 0.95.12.1 Jabber loses connection without attempt to reconnect  (Read 2540 times)

Offline blackshadow3

I'm observing a strange behavior since a while with the jabber plugin. It is more or less since the 0.95.12.1 update, that jabber loses the connection after some time (maybe 30-60 min) but it attempts to be still online. At least visually. But when writing to someone the message gets lost and jabber after some time goes offline without any attempt to reconnect. The same accounts to receiving messages. Sometimes messages get lost. One special thing that I've observed is that when I'm in the faulted state and try to switch from e.g. online to away, jabber also switches to offline and doesn't reconnect.

What I've tried:
- A fresh install of it with a new database. Same result.
- A different system with a clean install. Same result.

Main System: Win10 20H2, More or less a developer machine, 12 core i9-9920x, 64gb RAM, jadda jadda.
Secondary System where I've tested this: Dell Inspiron 15 2in1,  Win10 2004, i7-10510U, 32gb RAM, jadda jadda. But also some dev features are installed here.

Used Plugins:
- History++
- StatusManager
- otherwise a pretty default setup (not many changes, just deselected some unused protocols)

The next thing I'll try is to switch back to 0.95.12 (without .1) (can not be found in any archive here) 0.95.11 *edit* It works perfectly using the older version.

One more hint: The server is not the newest version of the protocol. It is jabberd2 from 2013/14 or something like that. But I have no influence on that.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: 03 01 2021, 01:09:04 by blackshadow3 »

Offline ghazan

blackshadow3,
Hi.

Well, you can play with "Keep connection alive" setting on the main page of account settings.
Dunno if server supports new keep alive schema or not, only network log can give an answer

Offline blackshadow3

Hello,

thank you for your response.

I've just updated my rollbacked version to the latest again. I wonder a little why still "0.95.11.1" is stated as version in the log. As I had just updated it to the latest and restarted it. But of course I reproduced it. Here is the network log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/awvgju3k4nqclyf/mirandang-jabber-netlog.txt?dl=0

Obviously at [19:57:57 44B4] the connection got lost.
(During that time there were no updates for contact states. So they seemed to be online, even if the were not anymore, and new online ones were not shown up, etc.)
And at [22:36:34 48E0] (my first active action) I switched from online to away. And this was the first time it recognized that the connection was lost.

And I would guess that the server doesn't support any new features.

Kind Regards

P.S.: I've censored some names as well as the server name because of privacy reasons.
P.S.: I previously downgraded by replacing the binaries again, and of course with the old version it works like a charm again.
« Last Edit: 06 01 2021, 13:28:51 by blackshadow3 »

Offline ghazan

I wonder a little why still "0.95.11.1" is stated as version in the log.
Because of cached capabilities. There were no changes in XEP support since that version

Obviously at [19:57:57 44B4] the connection got lost.
Well... it looks like smth suddenly forces offline status for all protocols. Just as a hypothesis - it might be AutoAway, if you set Offline as a Long Away mode

Offline blackshadow3

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Well this is a good idea but I think it is not that.

My "auto away"-settings are completely deactivated. (As I've said clean install, clean profile)
Anyway I do not use this, as well as I was not inactive during that time frame of the log.

So I still have got that problem only with the new version.

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: 08 01 2021, 10:45:47 by blackshadow3 »

Offline ghazan

blackshadow3,
According to the log, this thing works somehow, even if it's not activated. At least in the log I can clearly see strings from Advanced Auto Away.
Mention must be made that you need to uncheck appropriate options at Options - Status - Status Manager to really disable various parts of StatusManager

Offline blackshadow3

Okay my next test now is to delete status manager entirely in order to see what happens.
I'll update this here when I have results.

*EDIT*
I've tested it again with the latest version but completely removed the status manager plugin. The network log looks the same to me:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1bv9h0nyh010fc/mirandang-jabber-netlog2.txt?dl=0

In this case the last sent message was [10:39:58 4298].
Afterwards the UI showed that I was still online, and as before, when I did my first action, which was basically switching the status manually [11:35:11 4298] it turned offline.
And inbetween the connection was faulty and I didn't receive any message.

Kind regards
« Last Edit: 10 01 2021, 11:01:00 by blackshadow3 »

Offline ghazan

blackshadow3,
1. Now there's clearly no line like
PS_SETSTATUS(xxxxx) => 40071, so Miranda definitely remains online.

2. Miranda doesn't send keep alive packets, you shall turn it on

Offline blackshadow3

So I've tried the following combinations now:

Status manager + network setting keep alive on
Status manager + network setting keep alive off
NO Status manager + network setting keep alive on
NO Status manager + network setting keep alive off

All with the same result that it is disconnected after a while and stating that it is online. The network logs look as the ones I've already posted.

For the moment the only choice I have is to stay with the old version.

Kind Regards

Offline ghazan

blackshadow3,
I've made a minor change for sending keepalive packets for old servers, so turn it on, switch tomorrow to the newest dev build and try.

The following users thanked this post: blackshadow3

Offline blackshadow3

Hello,

I'm testing it now. I hope it works. :-)
I will inform you about the results later. I'm also creating another log. So if it should fails again I'll provide it.

*edit*

I've tested it and I must say that it doesn't work. And behaves exactly the same as before.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfh6slarwotsvpn/mirandang-jabber-netlog3.txt?dl=0
At [19:05:17 57B4] and [19:05:38 57B4] I manually changed the status for testing, but it kind of "worked". But I guess it didn't, as the log seems to be so empty.
Later [20:57:15 57B4] I've tried it again and then it failed in exactly in the same way as in my previous postings.

This is with Statusmanager and keep alive.

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: 15 01 2021, 22:03:37 by blackshadow3 »