Author Topic: Updated to v0.95.12 Build#23261 on XP, Miranda crashes while logging into Jabber  (Read 3213 times)

Offline weblurker

I set up Miranda with two accounts, one on Jabber on Lightwitch and another on ICQ.

This is what the XP error log reports

AppName: miranda32.exe    AppVer: 0.95.12.0    ModName: jabber.dll
ModVer: 0.95.11.1    Offset: 00042093

If I disable the Jabber account and only use ICQ, Miranda doesn't crash.

I'm guessing that only the Jabber plugin has crashed since I'm still able to run Miranda to send messages on ICQ, even though the XP message about Miranda crashing is up.

A friend is using the same version of Miranda on Win7 and while Miranda doesn't crash, it can't log onto Jabber/Lightwitch.org.

Offline dartraiden

Try to install OpenSSL plugin.

Do you have CrashDumper installed?

Can your friend provide netlog?
« Last Edit: 31 07 2020, 20:10:13 by dartraiden »

Offline weblurker

Try to install OpenSSL plugin. Do you have CrashDumper installed? Can your friend provide netlog?

I checked the Plugins section, there is an OpenSSL.dll installed. It's described as OpenSSL SSL API module, Version 0.1.0.2.

I set Miranda to download and install CrashDumper.dll ver 0.1.0.4.

I'll ask my friend to enable and provide a netlog. He's away at the moment, that might take a few hours.

I re-enabled the Jabber protocol and Miranda crashed after restarting. I've attached the crash.txt and the mdmp file (in an rar file) to this post.
« Last Edit: 31 07 2020, 20:45:08 by weblurker »

Offline dartraiden

function-name not available
Please set "Stable version with debug symbols" in PluginUpdater settings, update and repeat crashlog

Offline weblurker

Please set "Stable version with debug symbols" in PluginUpdater settings, update and repeat crashlog

I tried to do that update twice and each time Miranda put up an error message "An Error occurred while checking for new updates".

I updated to the "Development Version with debug symbols" which worked. I've attached the mdmp and txt files. Hopefully you can find the information you need in those files. If not, you'll have to help me figure out how to update to the Stable version with debug symbols.

My friend running Win7 provided two netlog files. Netlog.txt and Netlog2.txt. The second file has SSL logging enabled.

Offline dartraiden

03142093 (Jabber 03100000): w:\miranda-build\protocols\jabberg\src\jabber_secur.cpp (243): TScramAuth::Hi
SCRAM... I suspected it

Thank you very much, ticket created

https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/2507
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/2506
« Last Edit: 31 07 2020, 21:12:21 by dartraiden »

The following users thanked this post: weblurker

Offline dartraiden

Try (and your friend too) to update to development build  23265 or newer.

If bug is gone, we will port fix to stable version.

Offline weblurker

Try (and your friend too) to update to development build  23265 or newer. If bug is gone, we will port fix to stable version.

I updated Miranda to v0.95.13 alpha build #22256, re-enabled the Jabber/Lightwitch account and Miranda NG worked. It didn't crash on XP and the Jabber/Lightwitch login was successful.

My friend isn't online at the moment, I've sent him an email asking him to update to the development version and I'll post a reply as soon as he's tested the new build.

Thanks.

Offline weblurker

Try (and your friend too) to update to development build 23265 or newer.

"Running v0.95.13 alpha build #23267 (e472a99241), still failing login. Attached latest log."

That's the reply my friend sent me. Unfortunately, the Jabber/Lightwitch login didn't work on Win7.

I've attached to this post the netlog.txt file that he sent

Offline ghazan

weblurker,
Missing sha-512 keys, please reset your password - that's a problem of that server's settings, not ours
you can try to disable SASL login in the options to bypass SCRAM auth at all

Offline weblurker

Missing sha-512 keys, please reset your password - that's a problem of that server's settings, not ours you can try to disable SASL login in the options to bypass SCRAM auth at all

I've emailed your reply to my friend, who will try your suggestions in a few hours.

My friend runs Miranda on two PCs, both still running Win7. The one machine was updated to the new version of Miranda and it couldn't log onto Jabber/Lightwitch.

On the other machine, he declined the Miranda update request and the login worked. That's why we thought that the update had something to do with the problem.

However, if resetting the password or disabling SASL login works, that's great.

Offline weblurker

Missing sha-512 keys, please reset your password - that's a problem of that server's settings, not ours you can try to disable SASL login in the options to bypass SCRAM auth at all

Disabling SASL didn't work but changing the password worked. Re-enabling SASL with the new password works as well.

As an additional confounding factor, my friend's original Jabber/Lightwitch password doesn't conform to their new password rules. Maybe something in the Miranda update triggered Lightwitch to enforce their new password rules and the problem was that the server rejected the old non conforming password.

Thanks, all is well now.

Offline ghazan

weblurker,
Evidently, this account was blocked or temporarily suspended after some insufficient login attempts, cause there was no reply to the challenge packet (due to a crash in Miranda). I've tested previously that login at Lightwitch succeeds in Miranda, so that was obvious that a problem is not in Miranda this time.

Offline weblurker

weblurker,
Evidently, this account was blocked or temporarily suspended after some insufficient login attempts, cause there was no reply to the challenge packet (due to a crash in Miranda). I've tested previously that login at Lightwitch succeeds in Miranda, so that was obvious that a problem is not in Miranda this time.

That makes sense. My friend kept trying to log into Lightwitch after the upgrade to Miranda and the server would have eventually blocked login attempts.