Forum for English speaking Miranda NG users > Support/Help

Old ICQ contacts and comunication history - suddenly deleted

(1/4) > >>

the Dark Lord:
I upgraded my Miranda and I find out it deletede most of my ICQ contacts from its database, which resulted in huge damage on my database. I am using Miranda for so long BECAUSE of its history, storing all conversations... That is the reason I am keeping using it and if any new comunicatiomn means is necessary (e.g. Discord) I am looking for possibility to incorporate it into my Miranda... so I can have EVERYTHING nicely packed in one program INCLUDING all previous conversations.
I have backups of elder versions of my database but WHY is it doing? It is not the first time most of my database was erased without any asking if I want to make any kind of purge. Just nuthing, it just decided that years of stored conversations I am keeping there intentionaly... can be deleted withou even asking me for permision!

I want to know what I can do, what thing in options to change, to prevent this unwanted damage of my database ever again.

dartraiden:
If you upgraded from pre-0.95.10.1 to 0.95.10.1 or later, read this ("Why do some contacts in the contact list become faint when I first log in with a new protocol?" section")

the Dark Lord:
I know why they are faint... that is the issue since they screwed ICQ protocol last year and new Miranda plugin had to be introduced. I did the upgrade from 0.94.10 last year. So I am fully aware of authorised and unauthorised contacts. That is why they are faint. That is what I know. That does not explain why the contacts and the history of comunication was deleted from my database without even asking me.

What I was doing now was upgrade from 0.95.11 alpha #21101 to 0.95.11 #22530
I don't care what ICQ server thinks. The history of comunications has nothing to do with any ICQ server, it is inside of my Miranda, it is inside of its database, it is on my computer, not on any server. And unless I say otherwise, it should stay there as it is.

So I am asking for a simple help what to do with what setting to prevent this to happen.
I want to ensure that Miranda won't do nothing like this ever again.

dartraiden:
> That does not explain why the contacts and the history of comunication was deleted from my database without even asking me.

Because we cannot more keep in Miranda contacts missing on the server. This would create a tons of problems in the new protocol (inability to receipt missed messages from the server, inability to receipt offline messages, and many more). The only exception is made for [deleted] contacts (ICQ owner periodically deletes prolonged non-use accounts from the system - such accounts are deleted from all contact lists on the server and get the name [deleted] - the owner of such an account will never be able to regain account). The option "Do not synchronize contacts with the server" in the old protocol was a big mistake. She brought only problems after so many years, without any benefit.

> What I was doing now was upgrade from 0.95.11 alpha #21101 to 0.95.11 #22530

build 21101 is 0.95.10 and contains old ICQ protocol. Thus, new protocol discovered that some local contacts are missing from the server and placed them in a NotOnList group, and after restarting, deleted them.

> So I am asking for a simple help what to do with what setting to prevent this to happen.
Db_autobackups plugin. And daily backups with his help. At any time, you can simply import history and contacts from the backup. I recommend using the latest version of Miranda (stable 0.95.11 or alpha 0.95.12) so that you definitely get a fix for [deleted] contacts.

If f**king Mail.ru (ICQ owner) doesn’t invent any new sadistic way to delete contacts from the server, everything will be fine. This is the most hated IT company in Russia...

the Dark Lord:
I tried to import contacts from backup... unfortunatelly the import freezed, the progress bar stopped moving for several many minutes. I had to terminate the process.
I had to create a "light" version of the original database, keeping the most important contacts and import those.

And of course all of those contacts are dead contacts. All of my contacts emigrated to Skype a long time ago.
I have almost hundred contacts... but during last few years only five was active...
I don't need those contacst for the means of comunication with those people... I need those contacts for the history of past comunications. And those records are like a treasure to me. Maping big portion of my life during past 15 years. I just don't want to loose big portion of my life to the error of judgement of some algorithm.

Is there any other thing I can do to protect my own past?
I don't care what is happening on severs, what kind of purge are they doing there. Not for ICQ, not for Discord.
The reason I am stubornly using Miranda for all those years is its database, containing and carrying all what I ever wrote to anybody through Miranda. And I always believed that what is inside of Miranda will stay in Miranda. That the fact it exist as compltely portable program, carrying its database within, will safe and protect my comunication history as long as the file with my database exists. That nothing can be missed unless I manually give the order for deletion.

I share the hate towards the russian company and toward their unwanted changes...
And I also have a huge hate agains't Skype... it stole my contacts...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version