Author Topic: Database not growing  (Read 3714 times)

Offline riki

Database not growing
« on: 27 04 2019, 10:31:24 »
Hello, I am using latest Miranda 32 bit - here's the head of my version info.

VersionInfo
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11] [DEP Enabled] [4 CPUs]
Installed RAM: 3327 MBytes
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 (build 86001)
Administrator privileges: Yes
OS Languages: (UI | Locale (User/System)) : English/English | English/English
Free disk space on Miranda partition: 335543 MBytes

Miranda NG Version: 0.95.11 alpha build #21790 (7767623150)
Build time: 27 Apr 2019 2:00:42
Profile: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Miranda\Profiles\user\user.dat
Profile size: 204181504 Bytes
Profile creation date: 16 Oct 2018 19:14:32
Language pack: No language pack installed
Service Mode: No
[close]
The issue is, my user.dat file hasn't been growing for months and months. It has been at 194 MB since last year. Is this all right? I think it must be losing data. Might there be a problem? What can I do to check it and fix it?

Offline Vulpix

Re: Database not growing
« Reply #1 on: 27 04 2019, 11:32:22 »
The mdbx granularity seems to be one megabyte, so it will only grow by one mb when you "save" it, if it runs out of space @ current size. I noticed sometimes it takes a fairly long time before it grows by one megabyte; I feel as though the growth has gotten slower despite talking about as much.

If you are worried about your data, you can conduct a simple test - install MsgExport plugin and export all of your contact as json.

Move the files somewhere for comparison and then use miranda for a bit; then export the data again and compare the contents. You should see that in the new exports, the new messages you wrote should be present. If not, or if there is some other discrepancy, there may be something wrong with your database.

You can also take a complete backup of your miranda and then create a clean profile and import your current profile with all of its setup into the new clean profile and see how big it is then.

I also recommend having the MsgExport plugin configured and using it on a daily basis because you never know when mdbx decides your data is not worthy of being stored... :P

There was also a limit for db size on 32bit miranda with mdbx database, but you are nowhere near close to that number so it should be ok (if the limit is still even there)

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

Re: Database not growing
« Reply #2 on: 28 04 2019, 02:29:01 »
Your answers are always as good as it gets, especially on db matters. Thanks Vulpix!  :-*