Forum for English speaking Miranda NG users > Bug reports

Jabber - crash

(1/3) > >>

Tomaso:
I've just performed a clean install of the lastest stable Miranda NG build (v0.95.10.1 build 21391,x64).
When connecting, Jabber causes it to crash right away!
In my setup, Jabber is configured to connect to gTalk (gmail.com).

(Win8.1Pro,x64)

--

EDIT:
Crash report:

ghazan:
Miranda crashes somewhere inside DNS API, dunno why.
If you have an antivirus or firewall, try to disable them and try again.
BTW, does it always crash in the same place?

Tomaso:
It crashed immediately, when connecting, after startup.
It was not caused by my firewall, nor my antivirus program.

I tried to remove some DLLs from Miranda NG's 'Plugins' directory, one by one..
If removing a certain DLL didn't help, I put it back into place, and proceded to remove another one istead.
The crashes stopped Immediately, once I removed 'Jabber.dll'!

Like I said, I've changed Jabber's default setting, so that it connects to gmail.com instead.
Don't know if this matters at all, because it has always worked just fine with older Miranda versions.

--

EDIT1:
OK, so this is actually the cause!
I used 'Database editor ++', just now, and changed Jabber's setting back to 'jabber.org'..
This fixed the crashes!!
So in conclusion; there's a serious compatibiliy problem in the latest stable Jabber protocol (v0.11.0.5), which prevents it from being used for gTalk (at least with the 64-bit build).

--

EDIT2:
My above conclusion was flawed.
Since I don't have an actual Jabber acount, I wouldn't know if the crashes occur when connecting to jabber.org.
I changed the configuration back to gmail.com now, and then used 'Startup status', to make sure that Jabber starts up in 'Offline' mode.
This also put an end to the crashes, as they only occur when connecting!

--

EDIT3:
OK, I've narrowed down the issue now, and it turned out to be somewhat embarrassing.. ::)
I had filled in my Usename/Password incorrectly.
Once I filled them in correctly, I was able to connect without any crashing!
So, at least, the bug turned out to be less severe than it first would seem.
But nevertheless, there is a bug present, since the program definitely shouldn't crash, simply due to some wrong username/password credentials!

ghazan:
Tomaso,
so, to narrow the search area, have you used the predefined template for Gtalk? or you manually configured everything?

Tomaso:
AFAIK, the only thing that is necessary (in order to use the Jabber protocol for GTalk), is to change 'Domain/Server' from "jabber.org" to "gmail.com".
At least, this is how I've always done it, and it seems to work just fine (except from the old, weird "bug" that causes some contacts always to appear as offline: https://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=4115.msg13132#msg13132 ).
Are there any advantages to gain for GTalk, by configuring more preferences?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version