Author Topic: Miranda NG Stable Version Seems to be in Another Language  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Lanie Molinar

Hi. I downloaded the latest stable version of Miranda NG earlier today, and the installation process went well, but for some reason, when I open it, it seems to be in another language. I know I selected English when I ran the installer, so I don't know why this happened. I tried reinstalling it, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I only know English, so I have no clue what anything is saying or what language it's in. I'm running it on Windows 10 Home in case that helps. I tried to attach a screenshot showing what I get when I first launch it, but I apologize if it doesn't show what it should. I'm totally blind and there's no one around who can look at it for me. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Offline Vulpix

Re: Miranda NG Stable Version Seems to be in Another Language
« Reply #1 on: 25 05 2018, 07:52:15 »
That's polish, and this is the dialogue you get when you do not have a profile created for your miranda (it's asking you to create one). This is strange for sure; can you go into the miranda directory and check the files there have been updated? Moreover, try to check inside the profiles folder and see if your .dat file is there.

Offline Lanie Molinar

« Reply #2 on: 25 05 2018, 08:52:58 »
This is a new installation. I got rid of the profiles and other app data before I reinstalled it, so I'm not sure what you mean by checking to see if the files have been updated. Also, if I don't have a profile since I got rid of everything, would there still be a .dat file there?

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 25 05 2018, 09:41:16 »
I see, new installation huh? Well I don't know why it's in polish, but you can do this.

Go to miranda folder, locate the file called mirandaboot.ini, edit it in notepad and scroll at the bottom.

There's a section that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
; language related settings
[Language]

; DefaultLanguage
; Stores the name of the default language pack to be loaded at startup.
; If skipped, loads the first file that matches the langpack_*.txt mask.
; "default": Built-in English language
; DefaultLanguage=langpack_german.txt
DefaultLanguage=

Maybe it has polish set up there (in the DefaultLanguage= section). If so, delete the line filename so that it looks just like my post above. In that configuration, miranda should definitely start in English I think.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #4 on: 25 05 2018, 09:55:46 »
Oh wow, it's true. I just tried to set up a regular english installation and this happens:

Not quite sure why Polish is selected by default :D but you're right. Looks like a bug.

I spoke with the devs and they'll get it fixed. In the meantime, to get rid of the polish language without reinstalling, go to the Miranda NG\Languages folder and delete the polish langpack txt file, then start miranda again.

« Last Edit: 25 05 2018, 09:59:08 by Vulpix »

The following users thanked this post: Lanie Molinar

Offline Lanie Molinar

« Reply #5 on: 25 05 2018, 10:07:59 »
Thanks! That fixed it.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #6 on: 25 05 2018, 12:50:46 »
Setup application language is not the same as installed program language.
Be more careful about making your setup choices. :)

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #7 on: 25 05 2018, 13:26:58 »
@AnrDaemon While you're technically correct, it doesn't make any sense (or rather you would not expect polish to be the default). The bug has been fixed now: https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/982c759948fd79f133180df85d96d24e72c431d1

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #8 on: 25 05 2018, 14:17:04 »
I know it makes little sense from usability standpoint. But brainless naivety ain't the best attitude, either.