Author Topic: Can't transfer files through XMPP  (Read 5406 times)

Offline wor123

Can't transfer files through XMPP
« on: 29 01 2018, 07:50:48 »
I noticed that I and other XMPP contacts can't transfer files to each other through XMPP. The transferring gets stuck in sending request for a min or so, than fails.
Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2 64bit
Miranda NG v0.96.4.1 64bit

Offline ghazan

Re: Can't transfer files through XMPP
« Reply #1 on: 29 01 2018, 09:12:35 »
usually this problem is solved by setting up the XMPP proxy in Advanced settings of any jabber account. this guarantees that all file transfers will succeed, even if the speed might be significantly slower than during the direct transfer

direct transfers in XMPP are quite badly implemeted in the comparison with another protocols, and they can stuck if you have no external IP address

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #2 on: 29 01 2018, 12:29:34 »
You are likely sitting behind a NAT. You can run a quick diagnostic.
Download a tool from http://miniupnp.free.fr/files/ (direct link), then run
Code: [Select]
upnpc-static.exe -sYou should see the list of UPnP devices on your network and status of the first found device.
You are looking for the line "ExternalIPAddress = …", if it is not a valid global Internet IP address, or there's no UPnP devices on the network, that may be he answer to your problem. Check if your routing device supports UPnP and if it is enabled on device and in Miranda network settings.

Offline wor123

« Reply #3 on: 29 01 2018, 16:55:41 »
My computer indeed being connected to a router and have a fixed IP, but it is a proprietary device of Hot Telecommunication Systems Ltd, and I don't see a UPnP settings or mention in its firmware.
Also: My contacts don't uses Miranda NG, but different clients.
« Last Edit: 29 01 2018, 17:09:37 by wor123 »

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #4 on: 29 01 2018, 21:28:39 »
According to the screenshot, you do have working UPnP gateway on your router.
Check that in Miranda options, "Network" - "Incoming connections" you have UPnP mapping enabled (and port range disabled).
Past that, this is a question of remote clients cooperation, unfortunately.
Miranda's file upload functionality was fixed in -NG for all that I know.

Assuming incoming connections aren't blocked on ISP side…
« Last Edit: 29 01 2018, 21:30:33 by AnrDaemon »

Offline wor123

« Reply #5 on: 12 04 2019, 06:25:58 »
usually this problem is solved by setting up the XMPP proxy in Advanced settings of any jabber account. this guarantees that all file transfers will succeed, even if the speed might be significantly slower than during the direct transfer direct transfers in XMPP are quite badly implemeted in the comparison with another protocols, and they can stuck if you have no external IP address
Sorry for the late response, but what I should configure in the XMPP proxy and how I doing that?

Offline unitwobble

« Reply #6 on: 13 04 2019, 12:19:06 »
Sorry for the late response, but what I should configure in the XMPP proxy and how I doing that?

Not all servers have it enabled. You can check to see if yours does at the compliance tester under XEP-0065: SOCKS5 Bytestreams (Proxy).

The easiest way is: Status for your XMPP account > Services > Service Discovery.
Look for the square blue icon with the white down arrow (usually named proxy.<your server>) then right click it and select "use this proxy".
If you know the address, you can manually enter it in settings.