Author Topic: Procedure entry point GetFileInformationByHandleEx - KERNEL32.dll  (Read 7211 times)

Offline riki

Hello,
until yesterday, all fine - but suddenly today I get this error at Miranda start, twice, one error box after the other. But then, once I dismiss the dialog boxes, Miranda appears to work normally. Does anyone know what this is, and if I can fix it?

Code: [Select]
The procedure entry point GetFileInformationByHandleEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
My Miranda machine is my oldest - still on Windows XP SP3.

This is not a show-stopper (Miranda works, after all), but it's annoying and it makes me worry a bit.

Any help/explanation will be appreciated!
« Last Edit: 13 01 2018, 21:00:09 by riki »

Offline AnrDaemon

The easiest way would be to install 32-bit Windows 7, if your system is not 64-bit capable (CPU capability and over 3GB RAM). It's long overdue, if you ask me.
Windows XP is terrible inadequate for modern internet environment, has known vulnerabilities and will not get updates.

Offline riki

Thanks for your reply.
However, trying to install a new OS would be the death of that specific computer.

I was hoping for a solution like getting a different kernel32.dll or replacing/making those 2 calls conditional.
Miranda still works actually, apart from the annoying errors.

Offline AnrDaemon

As I said, Windows XP will NOT get updates. kernel32.dll is a part of Windows kernel.
One of the plugins you're using requires newer kernel's functionality to work.

trying to install a new OS would be the death of that specific computer.
Having over 20 years of experience in IT support, I reserve the right to question this statement.
Even in regard to first models of eeePC.

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

I didn't think of plugins, that's a good suggestion thanks.
How would you go about finding out which plugin it is?

Offline dartraiden

This is dbx_mdbx problem. Delete it. But this plugin will be restored by updater. So uncheck dbx_mdbx in updater on next update.

The following users thanked this post: riki

Offline riki

Thank you, dartraiden!
Just the answer I was looking for. Problem solved, for the time being.  I wouldn't mind buying you a beer or two! :DRINK:

@AnrDaemon - You're right - XP is getting hard to sustain ATM. Migration to a new machine is planned indeed, but it will be a longish process. First get the new hardware, then install and sanitize it (Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare, on auto updates it resets some user settings, etc), then move my old software/data to the new machine... you get the picture. It will take time. When migration is done, I'd rather convert the old box to some flavor of Unix than trying to install Windows 7 on it.

Offline dartraiden

Bug was fixed. The fixed plugin will be in next nightly update.
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/commit/a6b0d0df4854ffda2577e2b61844467253eb9e0f
Please test, because on my PC this bug is not reproducible

Besides, I have doubts about disabling this via updater. Maybe this is not possible because dbx_mdbx is db driver. In this case you can create a simple .bat file: removing dll and start Miranda

Offline riki

Hello dartraiden, and thanks for taking care of the issue.
I just updated Miranda. I think it was the nightly you were referring to.

That particular error has disappeared, but there is a new error, appearing twice and similarly timed as the previous one, about a different function:

Code: [Select]
The procedure entry point ReleaseSRWLockShared could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Offline dartraiden

OK, tomorrow @ghazan will look at this
https://github.com/miranda-ng/miranda-ng/issues/1097

Offline riki

Wow - fixed immediately!   :THUMBS UP:
Thank you, dartraiden and ghazan, you made my day!
More beers are owed, hehehe...  8)