Forum for English speaking Miranda NG users > Support/Help

Skinning Miranda - tips?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Aztek:
Yup, exactly - look&feel is miranda's weakness. I never really paid that much attention to that - i switched to Miranda in 2008 and since then i never looked at alternatives, i didn't have to. But friend showed me Telegram and i realized how outdated Miranda is. Everything there is so smooth, elegant, there is tons of features* and doesnt have an impact on performence**.
Meantime miranda's default look remembers Windows XP and trying to make it better by yourself has limitations, since (i think) noone really supports clist_modern and tabsrmm (i send a ticket with really simple tweak 4 years ago - http://trac.miranda-ng.org/ticket/410 no response at all***). I won't  even mention that these plugins themselves are super clunky. It's kinda shame, that there is no more revolutions in Miranda and i know it's actually hard to going on when there are only few devs.

Our situation is still better than in our friends' camp - Miranda IM. Did you visit their site recently? Tried to download plugins?

*kinda like facebook, but more simplistic, made waaay better.
**neither do miranda, but c'mon - compare these two.
***yup, confirmed. Nightwish doesn't maintain it any longer.

Vulpix:
I migrated from IM when the "big divide" happened; but I used to do some troubleshooting with borkra related to MSN/Skype I believe. It's been such a long time ago. I didn't actually know IM was still alive. I guess it is not indifferent from NG right now though - it also only has one guy doing the work for the most part.

And I really like the miranda interface, believe it or not :D I've set it up for ~5 of my friends ish and we all use it. But as you have said, miranda is truly dated - and there are so many issues that one man simply cannot solve, even if he was actually dedicated to the task; but Ghazan - and all the other miranda guys who did stuff - have jobs and this is more of a hobby for them.

Miranda is however still the only way to go for me. I do not have a smartphone and I despise all of the "facebooks" and whatever the kids use these days :P No seriously, why does an IM protocol need to know my phone number?

I'm a big supporter of internet privacy and such things - within reason, of course.  (which is the reason why I cannot use Telegram - I don't like someone knowing my phone number. If I wanted to use my phone, I'd send an SMS!).

I don't know what the future of IM is. I guess that as long as there's at least one person doing something for Miranda, I will keep using it; it's been good to me all these years (since 2005 I believe; at least that is as far as my history reaches).

I wasn't really thinking about it but yeah, I feel sad. Melancholic, at the very least.

I hope Miranda doesn't die.  :'(

Aztek:

--- Quote ---Miranda is however still the only way to go for me. I do not have a smartphone and I despise all of the "facebooks" and whatever the kids use these days :P No seriously, why does an IM protocol need to know my phone number?
I'm a big supporter of internet privacy and such things - within reason, of course.  (which is the reason why I cannot use Telegram - I don't like someone knowing my phone number. If I wanted to use my phone, I'd send an SMS!).
--- End quote ---
It's actually a side-effect of being a direct competitor to WhatsApp i guess. It has pros and cons. When it comes to privacy Telegram should be actually on the podium, you can read about it on their site. When i was using Miranda i used Gadu-Gadu protocol, which has nothing to do with safety. I didn't had much trouble with switching, cuz this protocol was kinda dying already anyway. But hey, im not here to promote Telegram, i just admire it.

--- Quote ---I wasn't really thinking about it but yeah, I feel sad. Melancholic, at the very least.
I hope Miranda doesn't die.  :'(
--- End quote ---
It's not gonna die, because one telegram fag came in and is bit*hing around about it, don't worry :D
But yeah - problem with IT is that when you don't progress, you regress. You can't stand too long in one place.

Aztek:
If someone is interested in that IEView skin above (or/and my clist_modern/tabsrmm/prev. ieview) here it is:
https://github.com/Aztek92/MirandaSkins

To be honest i just started my github channel and wanted to put something there :D
I wanted also to put it somewhere in Skins section, but there is no place for packages, and since this thread is about skinning anyway...

Robyer:
Aztek, I created special repository under Miranda NG organization for skins etc. - https://github.com/miranda-ng/addons

I can add you as a contributor there, if you wish to put your skins there :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version