Forum for English speaking Miranda NG users > Support/Help

Skinning Miranda - tips?

(1/3) > >>

Aztek:
Hi there,
I'm planning to spend some of my free time to skin miranda. I fell in love in fan concept for project neon's skype and im gonna try my best to 'translate it' into miranda's gears.
here - image was too big to put in in [ imgs ] ;) http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/windows-1_aaqarnw.jpg
(sorry, i didn't manage to find orginal author)

For now im gonna ask for some tips from more experienced users. I've some experience skinning miranda, but i've worked only for changes to tweak it to be more simple, minimalistic in cool way (my magnum opus - http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/mriandapn_aaqarsx.png kinda get old :( ).
I know our plugins for skinning (both for contacts list and msg window) are kinda stuck somewhere in 2002 and it's shame, but let's talk about some problems here.

I don't see many problems with Contact List in this case, buuuuuuut...
1. Is it possible to make nice looking circle avatars (profile pics)? There is an option to round them, but result is ugly AF. - http://s10.ifotos.pl/img/Zrzut-ekr_aaqaxes.png
2. Any tips to make color strokes on avatars to show current status or new msgs? I tried to make new icon pack for protocol and make its icons bigger, then use it as an overlay, but everthing thats not 16px x 16px doesnt work.
3. Show last msg and author in 1st line below name?
4. Icon to notify that mentioned msg was seen?
5. I remember there was an option to dock contact list to msg window, is it gone now? would be useful.
6. Ok, i don't even dream about getting your profile pic to show it in the corner ;D but i have an idea for this.

Ok, now serious problem - msg window. As far as i know the best plugin for skinning is TabSRMM - which is also terrible! No transparency, hard to get any good looking effect.
The biggest problem i see is to make that texting box. Any tricks to get rid of borders, add icons? Use some java scripts or something there?
Also is it possible to have only one of container and chanigng interlocutor on contact list?

And when it comes to IEView:
I've never seen a feature of marking msgs as read inside chat. Is it possible? Also - can javascript be used to support facebook features like sending stickers and other facebook stuff? Maybe some javascript toolbar in IEView will help to support some facebook's features?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for any help :D

Robyer:
Hi, I'm afraid Miranda is too old and rigid for this advanced skinning and most of things wouldn't be possible with current clist_modern/tabsrmm plugins...

1. I don't know.
2. Not without implementing such thing in clist_modern itself, I guess.
3. This may be possible with use of Variables plugin.
4. There is plugin MessageState which shows extra icon in clist if message was read (for supported protocols, e.g. Facebook)
5. I think this would require special plugin, there is no option or current plugin that allows this (or at least I don't know any).

You can barely skin TabSRMM. There is some info: http://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Plugin:TabSRMM/en/Skinning_format

I don't use IEView but I don't think there was ever done any change to support manually marking messages as read - although it's theoretically possible. Also I don't know what Miranda methods one could call from IEView's JavaScript... but again, theoretically is possible to implement it (with some changes in IEView / FB plugin itself).

Aztek:
At this point i made messege window, inspired but not copied.

I have to admit, limitations of Miranda started to irritate me, that's why it took me so long.
I'm not happy enough with result either, but i feel its best what i can get.

In meantime i started to play with Telegram - it has godlike desktop client that truly belongs to 2017.
Looks good, plenty of functionality and still gets big updates. And that's when i decided to switch.
After almost 10 years of using Miranda, i miss big updates that could keep Miranda from drowning, but even when the fork NG kick in, there was no big changes and therefore future for Miranda. So now im just exporting my (gotta say rich) history and im making step ahead.

Vulpix:
It's quite sad - but Miranda pretty much has only one active developer - Ghazan.

Then it has three sleeper agents - Robyer, Unsane

And a guy who added Omemo recently, but yeah.

Many of the recent additions (like support for Discord) and other fixes have been pretty much funded by me and coded by Ghazan (or Unsane and Robyer).

It is truly sad, but at least it hasn't been abandoned completely.

Robyer:
As a big limitation I see we are using the C++ with plain Windows Forms. Perhaps using better GUI toolkit would make huge difference regarding look&feel.

And then yeah... there is only few developers, only ghazan doing bigger changes but mostly internal non-GUI stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version