Author Topic: New user : basic questions  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Noinoo

New user : basic questions
« on: 15 01 2017, 12:49:13 »
Hi, happy year to all ! Before electing to download it, I have to know if miranda(ng) is what i'm after, praytell,

- I have Windows XP SP3, CPU does not do SSE2 : confirm this thing will run here ?

- Assuming Miranda-ng will work on my platform. My wish is to install simple, end-to-end encrypted one-to-one chats with trusted partners. Does Miranda-ng support OTR (or similar) encryption ? Natively ? With plugin ?

- I already have old miranda-im. Maybe off-topic on this forum ? Same question as above (I downloaded an OTR plugin, that will error on starting on my platform. Is that expected, a known problem ?)

Offline Vulpix

Re: New user : basic questions
« Reply #1 on: 15 01 2017, 13:27:18 »
1) Not sure. It probably will, but I can't confirm. Edit: I tried running miranda on a VM with disabled SSE2 onwards (wasn't showing in cpuZ / coreinfo) and miranda ran okay. I don't know if this method is valid but I have no other way of trying :p Though, I don't recall miranda requiring SSE2+ support anywhere.
2) Yes, we have MirOTR which allows OTR on any protocol as long as the opposing party also has OTR. ( http://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Plugin:MirOTR/en )
3) You can upgrade your IM into NG by the use of a simple drop-in exe which does everything else for you ( http://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Plugin:IM_Updater/en )
« Last Edit: 15 01 2017, 13:57:44 by Vulpix »

Offline Noinoo

« Reply #2 on: 15 01 2017, 16:02:50 »
Thx, @Vulpix !

1. At 1st glance it does seem to run alright here, although maybe some plugin(s) will crash ? (I had a crash, shall investigate...)
2. Shall see OTR later
2. Yebbut I preferred side by side installs, cause I also use the older IM in Windows 98 (dont't ask...)

So back to 1, the basics. The good news is Miranda-ng seems to run here. The less good is the interface and menus are as muddy as the older miranda-im's ;=)
New basic question : I wish to test jabber/xmmp (I used irc only in the past). Assume I choose the server at jabber.org (that is trusted, yeah?). HOW do I open an "account" or whatever (nym, password) for myself to identify to said server ? I know I am making myself look like a moron probably, but... I'm lost! Could certainly use some more help.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 15 01 2017, 20:03:19 »
Well I mean you can just make a copy of your profile somewhere, drop in your stuff and then have ng and im side by side, simply by using different folders :D Though obviously no message syncing unless you use an actual message syncing proto like discord or skype/steam.

And well about making an account, usually a jabber "server" will have their own interface to make new accounts - or you can use Miranda's built-in account requestor in the miranda "Account Manager" (which you can access from the main miranda menu, the "hamburger icon" in standard clist theme, or by right-clicking any empty space in the contact list and selecting main menu->accounts...)

Be aware that you need to find a proper jabber server that lets you do this. I don't think jabber.org will work. I'm using neko.im myself. If you pick some random jabber server it should eventually work though :D It's more of a question for the jabber server, not really miranda's fault or responsibility.

Offline Noinoo

« Reply #4 on: 15 01 2017, 20:22:19 »
Aha ! thus, just choose a random name and password ? So, will Miranda give a clear error message IF chosen server won't or cannot create an account using my chosen name+password ?

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #5 on: 15 01 2017, 20:37:58 »
Yes - and yes! :) If it doesn't work, you can just try a different server :) I think richim works. Neko.im as well.... or at least it did last time I tried.

The following users thanked this post: Noinoo