Author Topic: Connection lost after changing IP  (Read 2339 times)

Offline rotefantas

Connection lost after changing IP
« on: 30 08 2016, 18:05:53 »
Hi there,

I am using Miranda NG, newest verison 0.95.5 64-bit, and I have a serious problem with the connection to a normal jabber-server with Miranda NG. I have this problem only if I change the IP in the internetmodem or from hibernation.

Right now, I have to download bunch of software from Internet which is devided in parts. I have to change the IP-adress so I don't have to wait 24 hours but continue download immediately.

How can I solve this problem?

Offline Vulpix

Re: Connection lost after changing IP
« Reply #1 on: 30 08 2016, 22:58:16 »
I'd look into the plugin for miranda called "KeepStatus". Set it so that it auto-reconnects you (unless you switch to offline manually).

Offline rotefantas

« Reply #2 on: 31 08 2016, 10:23:49 »
i will give it a try
« Last Edit: 31 08 2016, 10:25:46 by rotefantas »

Offline rotefantas

« Reply #3 on: 31 08 2016, 11:01:38 »
it works! it was difficult to install it and more difficult to find the configuration part, but i did it! thx alot

Offline Ratha

« Reply #4 on: 04 09 2016, 14:08:11 »
I know that you've found a solution to the problem but wanted to point out that if your IP address changes via a change in your router you should expect to be disconnected.

Think of your IP address as your home. If you changed your address without telling anyone your new one, all of your mail would still be going to your old house and not your new one. As such, your applications can no longer communicate using the old connection information which is no longer valid. Some applications can gracefully check their status and then reconnect if a problem is detected and you probably wont even know they have done so. Others may need to be manually restarted or reconnected.

The same thing also happens with hibernation and sleep modes because those are basically like shutting your computer off. When you enter hibernate or sleep modes, they save the state that 'i was connected when i turned everything off' but when they try to communicate with the server after being turned back on they realize that the original connection is no longer active or valid.

Anyway, just thought you might want to know why it happens. :)