Author Topic: What happenned to YAMN  (Read 4029 times)

Offline patislav

What happenned to YAMN
« on: 14 09 2023, 18:11:43 »
Hi everyove, many years ago YAMN plugin was the best one. But since some time in past (few years) its .book file started enormously growing in size. As if it is always downloading whole emails from server, not just headers for showing them in message window. Currently my .book file has over 500MB! Why this change happend? It doesn't make any sense. Just email headers downloading and storing them in .book file must be enough for proper work.
Thank you

Offline dartraiden

Re: What happenned to YAMN
« Reply #1 on: 17 09 2023, 14:00:51 »
No idea, nothing has changed in YAMN throughout the existence of Miranda NG (except for removing obsoleted options this year).
« Last Edit: 17 09 2023, 14:03:46 by dartraiden »

Offline patislav

« Reply #2 on: 19 09 2023, 17:52:57 »
Well, it is possible, that noticed this difference after switching from IM to NG. On IM I was using YAMN for more than 10 years and book file (or its equivalent) remained small. No matter how many emails was on server. NG YAMN book file is fastly growing after each new recived email. This does not make any sense since it shows just email header liek when, from, subject. Everytime book file grows as if whole email with attachment was downloaded and stored in it. Could you please check this?
Thank you.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #3 on: 08 10 2023, 23:03:49 »
it shows just email header liek when, from, subject.
Only until you open the letter

If you double-click on a letter in this window - a letter will be loaded completely.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #4 on: 08 10 2023, 23:09:32 »
In addition, we should transfer the accounts and plugin settings from .book to the Miranda database so that, for example, they are protected by encryption. Now they are in plain text...

Although this will break backward compatibility :(

Offline patislav

« Reply #5 on: 10 10 2023, 16:48:41 »
Only until you open the letter

If you double-click on a letter in this window - a letter will be loaded completely.

Nice function, but it opens the message immediately without downloading from server. It obviously opens the message from .book file on local drive. This is nonense I think. It should download the message after double click without storing it into .book file. It should store just the email header, just information for the rows in message list window.

I also noticed, that .book file gets smaller when I move emails on the server into folder which is not accessable by pop3. This is another proof, that .book file is some kind of data image of server content and not just list of email headers.

I have tried to create new YAMN account to be sure that it is not corrupted by something. It immediatelly starts donwloading whole messages from all pop3 accessable folders on server. This is noticeable by observing data traffic to computer.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #6 on: 10 10 2023, 21:14:11 »
Nice function, but it opens the message immediately without downloading from server.
If "Auto retrieve body" is disabled, only headers are retrieved from the server and stored in .book when checking mail.

Double-clicking on a letter in the list  downloads the entire letter, saves the body to a .book and opens the letter so you can read it.
« Last Edit: 10 10 2023, 21:17:23 by dartraiden »

Offline patislav

« Reply #7 on: 11 10 2023, 17:52:18 »
I have never enabled "Auto retrieve body" option and my .book file has about 640MB for about 10400 email headers. This means, that one header is about 60kB, which is nonsense. If I look into message list window, I can see only "from, subject, size, date". For this I would expect one header about 100 or 200 bytes. So I think, that .book file should be about 1 to 2 MB. But currently it is about 300 to 600 times larger. Why?

I can't copy list of emails from message list window and calculate sum o received email sizes. I believe it would give me size of .book file.

.book file is already so large, that any change in YAMN setting is impossible, because miranda crashes immediatelly after clicking of any checkbox.

I don't delete emails from server because I can keep them there as a backup and my email box provider counts with this approach. This is the reason for such large amount of emails.

Offline patislav

« Reply #8 on: 11 10 2023, 18:07:40 »
I just did this experiment:
1) disabled some folder on server from pop3 access
2) created new YAMN account with disabled "Auto retrieve body" option
3) downloaded headers
4) manually summed sizes of all email in message list window

And I got size of .book file. I can't have better proof, that whole emails were downloaded and stored in .book file instead just headers.

Offline patislav

« Reply #9 on: 13 10 2023, 04:09:15 »
I did some another experiments. I tried to find out what happens when "Auto retrieve body" option is checked. .book file reduced its size to one tenth. In numbers from 640MB to 60MB. When I open .book file in text editor, I can read messages. So I think that:

"Auto retrieve body" option is checked/enabled - it only downloads text body of messages - size of my .book file 60MB
"Auto retrieve body" option is unchecked/disabled - it downloads whole messages probably including attachments - size of my .book file 640MB

Thus the unchecked option work incorrectly. It should be:
"Auto retrieve body" option is checked/enabled - it only downloads text body of messages
"Auto retrieve body" option is unchecked/disabled - it downloads only message headers just for identification of an received email and .book file would be significantly smaller. Estimated size of .book file up to 2MB?

Downloading attachments is nonsense, because YAMN is not email client with possibility to work with them.

Offline patislav

« Reply #10 on: 25 12 2023, 08:32:41 »
Hello, is there any way how to report bug described above to YAMN team?

Offline dartraiden

Offline patislav

« Reply #12 on: 04 01 2024, 15:48:41 »
Thanks