Author Topic: Yahoo shutting down legacy client. Does Miranda support its web protocol?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Ratha

Theres all sorts of news going on about Yahoo shutting down its legacy messenger on Aug 5, 2016. Im not sure which API Miranda uses currently, but Im guessing that its the legacy version.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/10/goodbye-old-yahoo-messenger

Questions for the Devs:
Will there be, or has there been any attempt to look into the 'new' web protocol/service to see if its supportable on through Miranda?

Questions for Yahoo users:
What protocols are you and your friends going to consider moving to if Yahoo shutting down the legacy client forces your desktop-client friends to a new service? I dont know anyone who would use the in-browser chat as their base chat client because browsers are highly inconvenient for that. Im interested in finding some good options to present to my friends who dont wish to stick with Yahoo after the shutdown, assuming that Miranda cant/wont/does not support the new protocol, and if my understanding of Yahoo not providing any desktop connectivity is true. It'd be great to get my friends into using Miranda if they can support the new API, but having options wouldnt hurt either.

For what its worth it sounds like theres no longer an 'online' indicator in the new service and that they're going to start to store your conversations history online so that you can unsend messages. Seems like this change to a web based 'client' might also kill the ability to do large file transfers too, but thats just speculation as I've not tried to use it yet. These changes are not something that I'm looking for in my messenger though. :\
« Last Edit: 28 06 2016, 05:00:00 by Ratha »

Offline Aimhere

I was wondering about this myself. Any news???

Offline Vulpix

Questions for Yahoo users:
What protocols are you and your friends going to consider moving to if Yahoo shutting down the legacy client forces your desktop-client friends to a new service? I dont know anyone who would the in-browser chat as their base chat client as browsers are highly inconvenient for that. Im interested in finding some good options to present to my friends who dont wish to stick with Yahoo after the shutdown, assuming that Miranda cant/wont/does not support the new protocol, and if my understanding of Yahoo not providing any desktop connectivity is true. It'd be great to get my friends into using Miranda if they can support the new API, but having options wouldnt hurt either.

Tox! :D

http://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=2502.0

Unsane is likely working on fixing up those last few points. They worked at some point but they got broken in some update :p regardless though, tox is the simpliest (no need to create an account on any random site or w/e), filetransfers are good, supports all the basics and most of the good stuff as well. The only downside is - no multidevice (not yet at least - but it's being worked on=> https://github.com/GrayHatter/toxcore/commits/multi-device )