Author Topic: MSN or SkypeWeb  (Read 4050 times)

Offline rdol

MSN or SkypeWeb
« on: 07 01 2016, 13:42:54 »
Hi
I use Miranda IM and then Miranda NG for many years. When Microsoft closed API for non-native clients I tried to use Skype as a standalone program. But it's a disaster to try to find something from history if my contact uses ICQ, Skype, Jabber and sends me messages randomly over all protocols.

And then, during Christmas I accidentally discovered a couple of unexpected Christmas gifts from Miranda NG :) Metacontacts, MSN protocol supporting MS Account login, SkypeWeb supporting traditional Skype login.

My question is - is there any substantial difference between MSN and SkypeWeb? What shall I prefer? Is some plugin more reliable? Better supported in future? I really don't care if I have to login via MS Account or traditional Skype username.

Thanks.

Radek
« Last Edit: 07 01 2016, 18:33:16 by rdol »

Offline Vulpix

Re: MSN or SkypeWeb
« Reply #1 on: 07 01 2016, 16:23:38 »
As far as I can tell, if you have a skype account, skypeweb works really well. Avatars seem to be working, status messages too, message sending and syncing works as well.

Some people sometimes cannot see my own avatar for some reason, but otherwise it's good.

SkypeWeb plugin doesn't work with microsoft account however. I don't have much experience with the MSN plugin but I recall testing it recently and it actually worked and loaded my contacts.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #2 on: 09 01 2016, 00:37:51 »
As far as I can tell, if you have a skype account, skypeweb works really well. Avatars seem to be working, status messages too, message sending and syncing works as well.
Does it work with skype group chats for you?

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #3 on: 09 01 2016, 11:18:31 »
Does it work with skype group chats for you?

Yes - but they have to be the "new" skype group chats, i.e. the v7+ I believe. The "old" skype chats won't work, so if you get invited into an old one, it won't work. Generally the safest way to do this is to make the group chat yourself.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #4 on: 09 01 2016, 11:22:42 »
There is a note about groupchats here

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #5 on: 10 01 2016, 02:04:41 »
Thanks, Wishmaster. That helps.