Author Topic: A tor plugin  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Vulpix

A tor plugin
« on: 02 12 2015, 11:55:39 »
Hello!

I'm not even sure if this is possible due to the fact that such plugin would (possibly) have to load before the protocols and before miranda starts checking for updates; but either way:

Is it possible / feasible to have a miranda tor plugin that would let you switch all the protocols (or selected ones, or even miranda itself; this should be customizable) to use tor as a proxy?

If this is just super silly then please ignore :D

It would be much nicer than having to download and install some random torbrowser that you don't really want or need it.

Offline dartraiden

Re: A tor plugin
« Reply #1 on: 11 12 2015, 20:36:38 »
Why just not use vidalia-bundle (deprecated but working if you replace installed old tor by fresh copy) and Miranda Options -> Network, when you can enable proxy (Tor offers SOCKS5 127.0.0.1:9050 by default) for all connections or some protocols?
« Last Edit: 11 12 2015, 20:42:44 by dartraiden »

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #2 on: 11 12 2015, 21:06:19 »
I know how to use that. That's what I'm using right now (the outdated vidalia, because I really couldn't stand the idea of needing a browser :D). But it would be way nicer to have a plugin, if it's not impossible.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #3 on: 12 12 2015, 07:42:34 »
I think it's better and safer to use classic solution, tested by whole Tor community, than trying to have some Miranda plugin that basically replaces the Vidalia GUI (which was disrecommended). I think you can't rely on Miranda plugin which would be most likely used only by few and soon unmaintained.

More so it doesn't make much sense to implement plugin just for Miranda - as opposite to Vidalia which could have been used in every program of the system.

Just my thoughts :)
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline mida

« Reply #4 on: 12 12 2015, 12:54:22 »
i dont know how secure is Advanced Onion Router because latest build is from 2014 but its a alternative
sorry for my bad english

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #5 on: 12 12 2015, 14:20:53 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I know how to connect to tor, I can even use tor from command line I suppose, so technically it might be possible for me to script miranda to start tor when miranda starts (maybe?). My point was, I wanted to have a portable miranda (which it is, by default) with the ability to make all of its traffic go through tor (which should be portable as well). Vidalia needs to be installed. AdvancedOR does not but I don't have any experience with it. I think I'll just make a script that starts tor or something.

A plugin would be nice - but I agree that it's perhaps a bit too niche.

Offline dartraiden

« Reply #6 on: 12 12 2015, 16:23:14 »
Portable Tor from Tor Browser Bundle

In addition, it makes sense to look at Tor Messenger. They use InstantBird perhaps it can be replaced by Miranda.
« Last Edit: 12 12 2015, 16:26:56 by dartraiden »