Author Topic: Developing custom protocol  (Read 4677 times)

Offline pmazas

Developing custom protocol
« on: 17 06 2015, 21:08:50 »
Hello. I'm thinking about developing a custom protocol, for messaging in a LAN. Now we're using a "home made" server, written in C# and the client has some bugs. I wish I could integrate with Miranda.  Does any one have a tutorial to develop a new protocol?
Thanks!

Offline AnrDaemon

Re: Developing custom protocol
« Reply #1 on: 18 06 2015, 00:12:48 »
Install jabber server and use standard XMPP protocol.

Offline pmazas

« Reply #2 on: 18 06 2015, 18:41:53 »
This should be a good alternative, but the home made protocol has some different features. For example, all the incoming users see the full user list. No one needs to add users to their contact list.
Nor is it necessary to sign up, when the user enters, he says the name and the group, no more login credentials are needed.
For all this is that I'm looking for information about protocol development, in order to use one program to connect to public networks, and the internal too.

Offline AnrDaemon

« Reply #3 on: 18 06 2015, 20:40:28 »
/facepalm
Tells me how much you know about modern communication protocols overall and XMPP in particular.
Also, inevitable XKCD.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #4 on: 18 06 2015, 20:42:17 »
This should be a good alternative, but the home made protocol has some different features. For example, all the incoming users see the full user list. No one needs to add users to their contact list.
Nor is it necessary to sign up, when the user enters, he says the name and the group, no more login credentials are needed.
For all this is that I'm looking for information about protocol development, in order to use one program to connect to public networks, and the internal too.

Did you try the EmLan protocol?

Offline pmazas

« Reply #5 on: 30 06 2015, 01:12:28 »
Did you try the EmLan protocol?
Yes, I've tried. Is a very good option for a LAN, but I need to connect users in many LANs.
In the current protocol, the user says name and server, nothing else. After that, gets all users and can talk to anyone.
For now, I will continue using the custom client too.
Thank you for your time.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #6 on: 30 06 2015, 09:23:40 »
pmazas, hey, if you are familiar with developing in C/C++ (I'm not sure if developing C# plugins is easily suitable), best way is to get inspired by existing protocol plugin. For Miranda NG there are all plugins open sourced, so you can look at them in our svn repository. There is no manual unfortunately.

Very simple protocol is MinecraftDynmap, which communicates over HTTP protocol (not over LAN), but uses group chats instead of single 1 to 1 conversations. Anyway, for basic understanding of Miranda protocol it might be helpful.

Otherwise you can get direct help and answers for your questions from other devs in our jabber conversation: miranda-ng-int@conference.jabber.ru
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.