Author Topic: Skype client takes a lot of time to load by SkypeClassic during system start  (Read 3318 times)

Offline wor123

When Miranda NG starting with the system, its takes several trys for SkypeClassic to load Skype Client, often failing to load Skype in the first or even the second try (Keep status is setted to try to connect to every protocol every 30 seconds).
My Skype Cilent version is 7.4.0.102.
How to solve this problem?
Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2 64bit
Miranda NG v0.96.4.1 64bit

Offline AnrDaemon

Install 6.x Skype.

Offline wor123

It still takes several trys to load Skype at system startup, after downgrading to 6.21.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L rev 1.0
CPU: Intel Pentium DualCore E5400 2700MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Memory: Kingston DDR3-SDRAM 4GB (Windows 7 32bit)
HDD: SAMSUNG HD502HI ATA Device 500 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II

Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2 64bit
Miranda NG v0.96.4.1 64bit

Offline Vulpix

Seeing your configuration, the biggest bottleneck is very likely the HDD. Skype does some incredible I/O during its startup, especially if you have a lot of history stored in your profile. Now add to it the fact that the system startup is the most I/O heavy thing your operating system will do and you have a problem.

Can you try downloading and running SpeedyFox (make sure to turn off your skype/firefox/whatever when running it) to reduce the size and wasted space of the DB, as well as perhaps defragmenting your hard disk?

It may sound trivial but I had a similar experience with Skype back when I didn't have an SSD. Even though my disk was a 7200rpm one, it still took a long time for Skype to come up and the poor disk was super busy.

Offline Robyer

This is not answer to the question, but instead of SkypeClassic you can rather use the new SkypeWeb which is being developed (still in alpha stage though) and which doesn't require running official Skype client, see http://forum.miranda-ng.org/index.php?topic=4018.msg11953
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.