Forum for English speaking Miranda NG users > Feature requests

New protocol: Dummy

(1/2) > >>

Vulpix:
Hello all!

I'm curious how difficult it would be to implement a "Dummy" protocol.

For example, in case a protocol is retired (Skype, soon-to-be MSN, who knows what else) and the related plugin is unloaded (either by user or because it's deprecated), you will end up with history that is rather unreadable.

With the kernel metacontacts, a dummy protocol would be a way to create a "dummy" contact for the sole purpose of changing it into a metacontact.

This "Dummy" protocol would never be retired as it wouldn't really require anything special. It should support all of the database events and there should be a way to migrate to it - just like you currently can when a protocol is retired:

Since the protocol would really be a dummy, I doubt there would be much to code as there will be no need to connect to anything, authenticate etc.

A super ultra utopia scifi that will never happen - the protocol is used proprietarily by miranda to sync chats across mutliple devices :D

Thoughts?

Robyer:
Sounds interesting... but I'm not sure how real could be implementation, because you need to handle different user IDs, names, etc.
But yeah, some kind of Dummy protocol could be useful :-)

Robyer:
Ok, I implemented this Dummy Protocol.

You can try and get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf2vmmt2nq8wae3/DummyProto.7z?dl=0

How it works? Just upgrade your unloaded protocol to this Dummy one through Account manager. Then you can also set there Setting and Name of unique setting of that protocol. This is to handle contact IDs (to show them it in Tipper, etc.).

Vulpix:
Hello Robyer!

Yeah, something like this! We're getting there :D

I have two issues;

a) it's not possible to create a metacontact out of the dummy contact (after conversion, for example). It complains about missing UIDs
b) the database entry for the contact remains with "SKYPE" protocol, instead of dummy; even though I can now properly see the history.
c) it's not possible to upgrade multiple accounts into the same dummy protocol. I agree that being able to use metacontacts will act the same way, but just curious how difficult it would be to implement that.

Thanks for the effort! Much appreciated~

Also, cute "dummy" protocol icon for old skype. When I converted an IRC account into a dummy, it retained the IRC protocol icon.
Post Merge: 18 09 2014, 11:38:19Edit:

Moreover, I have another question. Would it be possible to make it so that you can "upgrade" any account; not just a deprecated one? I.e. if MSN is still working but I no longer want to use it, but I wish to retain the histories; I want to be able to "upgrade" it to dummy as well - but it's not possible right now.

Robyer:

--- Quote from: Vulpix on 18 09 2014, 11:33:14 ---a) it's not possible to create a metacontact out of the dummy contact (after conversion, for example). It complains about missing UIDs
--- End quote ---
Have you set correctly that unique id setting in dummy account options?  ;)

--- Quote from: Vulpix on 18 09 2014, 11:33:14 ---b) the database entry for the contact remains with "SKYPE" protocol, instead of dummy; even though I can now properly see the history.
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's correct internal name of that account and that won't change.

--- Quote from: Vulpix on 18 09 2014, 11:33:14 ---c) it's not possible to upgrade multiple accounts into the same dummy protocol. I agree that being able to use metacontacts will act the same way, but just curious how difficult it would be to implement that.

--- End quote ---
Of course it isn't possible, because that wouldn't be "upgrade", but "merge". And "merge" is not possible and it won't be implemented (it would be complicated and not worth it). ;)

--- Quote from: Vulpix on 18 09 2014, 11:33:14 ---Also, cute "dummy" protocol icon for old skype. When I converted an IRC account into a dummy, it retained the IRC protocol icon.
--- End quote ---
AFAIK it depends on many factors (protocol name, internal name, custom settings...) so if you want to change icons for account, feel free to do it manually in Options / Icons.

--- Quote from: Vulpix on 18 09 2014, 11:33:14 ---Moreover, I have another question. Would it be possible to make it so that you can "upgrade" any account; not just a deprecated one? I.e. if MSN is still working but I no longer want to use it, but I wish to retain the histories; I want to be able to "upgrade" it to dummy as well - but it's not possible right now.

--- End quote ---
Yes. Just disable MSN.dll, restart and you'll be able to "upgrade" MSN accounts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version