Author Topic: Tox protocol  (Read 165706 times)

Offline Mataes

Re: Tox
« Reply #90 on: 23 09 2014, 04:44:26 »
They add nodes on 443 port. So now we can connect on tcp 443 :)

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #91 on: 25 09 2014, 07:38:14 »
Quick reminder:

Current (main) issue are the filetransfers.

Very unreliable at the moment, unfortunately :( They work for files around 1-2MB in size. Anything bigger (or if one of the parties has a slower connection) and the filetransfer will either:

1) stall (stop transfering) and then fail
2) become corrupted (file has less / more data when transfer is finished)
3) recipient's miranda will crash (though I also think this might be something with thread-safety - as this usually happens when they are typing while receiving a file)

The speed is pretty good. It's really just the reliability.

A sidenote is that if you choose "resume" a previously-failed filetransfer, the file will be appended in its entirety, i.e. if you had 50% of the file, you will end up with a file that's 1.5x the size of the original (and obviously corrupted).

Current medium-importance issues:
  • Tox protocol ignores proxy settings (with ipv6 and udp disabled - on the bright side, it does follow the "no ipv6 and no udp" option though!).

Current minor-importance issues:
  • Your status will be away even though you see it as "online". To fix it, you have to switch to something else and then back to online
  • You cannot change your status message (so most of you guys are "Toxing on uTox" x3 c'mon, we need some miranda advertising! Toxing on Miranda NG! :D )
  • You cannot set your own avatar - unsane is working on this! :)

Offline watcher

« Reply #92 on: 26 09 2014, 18:33:50 »
Binaries updated to r10594. Please update manually from attachments in the first post.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #93 on: 28 09 2014, 20:13:08 »
Binaries updated to r10615. Please update manually from attachments in the first post. Added avatar support.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #94 on: 28 09 2014, 21:21:44 »
Avatars are working!  :THUMBS UP: (Updated AVS is required for it though, the one on dist crashes it at the moment).

Offline watcher

« Reply #95 on: 28 09 2014, 21:53:23 »
Updated AVS is required for it though, the one on dist crashes it at the moment

Tomorrow's nightly build will fix it.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #96 on: 29 09 2014, 08:11:15 »
The 32bit build of tox protocol damages miranda!

Do not use the latest plugin if you have a 32bit miranda.

EDIT: some new info. It looks like this happens on 64/32bit regardless - the trigger is that you must not have updated your tox plugin for some time. There was a string->blob and then blob->string conversion at one point, and this is the reason for the below behavior; if your miranda profile is running the old version of tox plugin which still uses blob, chances are this will happen when you update the plugin. Devs will take a look at this and figure out what to do, but until then, if you really want to update and try the new avatar support, make sure to have a backup of (preferrably) the entire miranda folder, so that you can just go back to the previous version in case this happens.

It truncates the *.tox profile to 0 bytes, causing you to be unable to connect. You cannot remove the tox profile to re-create a new one because miranda crashes whenever you open the account manager and select the tox profile. If you delete the tox plugin, it is possible; but of course you lose all of your histories etc. Best wait for some better solution and a fix to the 32bit tox.

No issues with the 64bit miranda.

With this I'd like to ask; was this tested before it was pushed live? I know it's alpha but at least launch miranda with it :< now there is some damage I cannot repair on my friend's profile.

EDIT:

I checked it on my own profile, and the same thing happened. But next time it didn't happen anymore, so I couldn't reproduce it. Seems this only happens to some 32bit mirandas... :/
« Last Edit: 29 09 2014, 13:28:19 by Vulpix »

Offline watcher

« Reply #97 on: 29 09 2014, 10:14:49 »
With this I'd like to ask; was this tested before it was pushed live? I know it's alpha but at least launch miranda with it :< now there is some damage I cannot repair on my friend's profile.

No - it was not, coder loads it on his profile, it works ok, i test it - it's ok, i upload it then. This is an alpha version and this is a topic for testing, we do test it ourself after compiling once. In testing branch anything can happen - this is not new. This is why plugin is not in official repo and updated only manually. Regression can happen at any moment and whole protocol might be rewritten, history lost and so on. And it's all ok in alpha branch.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #98 on: 29 09 2014, 10:18:43 »
I used importtxt to export history, get a new tox profile set up by removing the tox dll and then removing the tox account; and then putting it back and re-creating one, so no data was lost pretty much. Still potentially annoying.

I do understand the point of alpha; and I was just curious how well tested these are before they're released :3

Offline watcher

Odp: Tox
« Reply #99 on: 29 09 2014, 10:20:16 »
Do not use the latest plugin if you have a 32bit miranda.

Or better - find for us the way to repeat this, all of us are on 32-bit Miranda and with working Tox profile.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

Odp: Tox
« Reply #100 on: 29 09 2014, 10:26:19 »
I do understand the point of alpha; and I was just curious how well tested these are before they're released :3

I can't test it well - i load it, doesn't crash, users online - it goes to the site. I can stop compiling and leave testing to users who can compile, debug, report and send a patch.

1 - there will be not enough testing this way.
2 - i think using alpha protocol and counting on any stability at all - is a huge mistake. This binaries are for testing purposes only, until it stabilizes and we put it to a regular repo, until then - anything might happen, not on purpose, it is just too raw and it's too much changes in code to stabilize. You write new feature, regression might kill working state.
Please read forum rules.

Offline Vulpix

« Reply #101 on: 29 09 2014, 10:54:58 »
Or better - find for us the way to repeat this, all of us are on 32-bit Miranda and with working Tox profile.

I have a way to reproduce it

Offline Mataes

« Reply #102 on: 29 09 2014, 10:55:27 »
write it here please

Offline Vulpix

Re:Tox
« Reply #103 on: 29 09 2014, 11:07:04 »
Heya Mataes!

I have a full profile from a test miranda where it happens every time.

I sent the profile to Watched and unsane. Watcher had a look at it and said that it's because the id is still blob (the profile wasn't updated until today, so probably the converter didn't convert it before some id check happened).

Watcher/unsane have the profile if you want more details

Post Merge: 29 09 2014, 13:29:07
Summary for people who want to update:

This happens on 64/32bit regardless - the trigger is that you must not have updated your tox plugin for some time. There was a string->blob and then blob->string conversion at one point, and this is the reason for the below behavior; if your miranda profile is running the old version of tox plugin which still uses blob, chances are this will happen when you update the plugin. Devs will take a look at this and figure out what to do, but until then, if you really want to update and try the new avatar support, make sure to have a backup of (preferrably) the entire miranda folder, so that you can just go back to the previous version in case this happens.

My previous post updated.
« Last Edit: 29 09 2014, 13:29:17 by Vulpix »

Offline watcher

« Reply #104 on: 29 09 2014, 18:07:26 »
Binaries updated to r10635. Please update manually from attachments in the first post. Tox profile corruption when updating from old versions must be fixed now.
Please read forum rules.