Author Topic: Autorun plugin - bug?  (Read 10176 times)

Offline Whiplash

Autorun plugin - bug?
« on: 09 07 2014, 09:29:32 »
Whenever I do the update, Autorun plugin unchecks its only option: "Launch Miranda NG at system startup".
So, I always have to keep in mind to check it after each update.

Offline Wishmaster

Re: Autorun plugin - bug?
« Reply #1 on: 09 07 2014, 14:15:39 »
Could you check if the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run", "MirandaNG" exists? Which value does it have?

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #2 on: 09 07 2014, 14:32:05 »
I see only these 2 lines:
Name                              Type                            Data
(Default)                      REG.SZ                          (value not set)
ctfmon.exe                   REG.SZ                          C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #3 on: 09 07 2014, 14:33:50 »
I see only these 2 lines:
Name                              Type                            Data
(Default)                      REG.SZ                          (value not set)
ctfmon.exe                   REG.SZ                          C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
And after you enable Autorun, does it change anything?

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #4 on: 09 07 2014, 14:39:18 »
After I enable Autorun, it works normally until the next update. I already enabled (checked) it.
Updating un-checks the the Autorun, that's what I'm saying.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #5 on: 09 07 2014, 14:45:49 »
After I enable Autorun, it works normally until the next update. I already enabled (checked) it.
Updating un-checks the the Autorun, that's what I'm saying.
But it is remembered if you exit Miranda NG normally, and autostart works?
Does Autostart not work after you restart after an update or is just that option unchecked?

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #6 on: 09 07 2014, 14:54:12 »
Sorry for misunderstanding. After I check it back manually, it's working normally whole the next time with every next restart. It only doesn't autorun my Miranda first time after the update.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #7 on: 09 07 2014, 15:03:09 »
It only doesn't autorun my Miranda first time after the update.
What does that mean? It will only autostart Miranda NG after you restart Windows, obviously.

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #8 on: 09 07 2014, 15:09:08 »
O boy.
Yes, that's correct. But it will not do it when I restart the windows first time after I updated Miranda to the new  version. Because the update unchecks that option.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #9 on: 09 07 2014, 15:14:17 »
Yes, that's correct. But it will not do it when I restart the windows first time after I updated Miranda to the new  version. Because the update unchecks that option.
Could you test it? Update Miranda to a new version, and if the checkbox is unchecked, do not touch it and restart Windows. Does it autostart Miranda?

The plugin should create the registry key I posted above in order to do autostart, could you check again if it exists after you enabled that option?

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #10 on: 09 07 2014, 15:23:27 »
I can't update already updated version. I'm not gonna do new install just to test it. I'm sure bug will happen again. It already did to me every time as I noticed even with the development version (I'm just not sure if it happened with every single update there).
Not I'm using stable version and I'm not going to move to development again.

Post Merge: 10 07 2014, 10:08:26
O.K., it happened this morning again. My Miranda NG didn't autorun. Now I don't know if there was any updates for stable version yesterday since I used that new "silent update" option. I checked the registry again and there were again the same two lines.
I checked the Autorun again and restarted my PC to see if it will work - and it does, as expected.
So, if there was any update yesterday, then I'm right - the reason is update.
« Last Edit: 10 07 2014, 10:10:05 by Whiplash »

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #11 on: 12 07 2014, 10:13:28 »
Hmm, after the last update this morning, I didn't experience the same problem. Let's hope it will stay like that.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #12 on: 12 07 2014, 15:42:32 »
Hmm, after the last update this morning, I didn't experience the same problem. Let's hope it will stay like that.
Well, I looked at it. All what the plugin does is creating a registry key at  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, Name "MirandaNG", Value e.g. "C:\Program Files\Miranda NG\Miranda64.exe" "/profile:blaa". The dialog just checks if that key exists. Pretty simple, if you create the key by hand, you don't even need the plugin.

So, if it happens again for you, please check if that key exists.

Offline Whiplash

« Reply #13 on: 20 07 2014, 20:16:09 »
Damn, seems I was an amateur at this part. I just noticed that the reason for this problem is actually my favourite security software named 360 Total Security. By one of it's features it's blocking all "unnecessary" programs to start-up automatically with the system. Pfff, I didn't analyze its quarantine at the beginning.
Anyway, I contacted them by Facebook asking to make their softare "smarter" at that part even it already allows setting Miranda NG to trusted list.

Offline Wishmaster

« Reply #14 on: 21 07 2014, 11:21:31 »
Thats quite interesting, because this plugin just creates that registry entry above, which is a standard way to make autostart since the very early windows versions.
Do you have a link to that Facebook discussion or could you post about the results?