Author Topic: trying to update mNG to the latest version, database issues  (Read 5060 times)

Offline omniwolf

Hi,
The pluginUpdater plugin this morning told me there were newer versions of things, so i ticked them all (except the spellcheck plugin - it gets blocked by our proxy for rude words!), and told mNG to update me.  I have done this process in the past many times with no issues.

Upon restarting mNG, i was informed that my profile was too old, and i needed to first downgrade to 0.94.9, let it upgrade my profile, then i could upgrade again to 0.95.1.
I downloaded 0.94.9, and installed it without issue.  Upon running it, i get the usual profile manager window (i have about 5 profiles, but only actually use one), and it showed my profile "Fresh", but without a driver (see screen shot).  If i right click on the profile and choose "Check database", i get an error "Database checker cannot find a suitable database plugin to open '...\Fresh.dat'"

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks,
Nick.

Offline watcher

Re: trying to update mNG to the latest version, database issues
« Reply #1 on: 08 07 2014, 05:25:51 »
Is this happening on 0.94.9 or already on 0.95.1? Did you use the installer from WIKI page to install 0.94.9 over previous installation? Because it installs every possible database driver for DB conversion before updating to 0.95.1. Every single one of the profiles had to be opened under 0.94.9 and only after that update to 0.95.1 had to be performed.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline omniwolf

« Reply #2 on: 08 07 2014, 23:16:28 »
yes, the screenshot is happening under 0.94.9.  If i try with 0.95.1 it just tells me to downgrade again.
Yes i used the installer from that WIKI page (i just followed the link that 0.95.1 gave me).
How do i associate a DB driver with a profile?  As you can see from the screenshot there appears to be no DB driver for my profile?

Offline watcher

« Reply #3 on: 09 07 2014, 06:28:19 »
omniwolf, it also happens  when profile is corrupted and db driver can't read its header.

Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline watcher

« Reply #4 on: 09 07 2014, 06:40:01 »
Can you please open this profile in any text editor and show this line?

Please read forum rules.

Offline omniwolf

« Reply #5 on: 09 07 2014, 23:14:54 »
Sure

Offline watcher

« Reply #6 on: 10 07 2014, 06:12:52 »
Interesting, signature is there... I'll show it to our main developer.
Please read forum rules.

Offline omniwolf

« Reply #7 on: 10 07 2014, 09:03:26 »
OK, i realised i followed the warning on 0.95.1 and made a backup of my entire profile before i tried to upgrade.
I just copied in the old profile again, ran it against 0.94.9, ran the DB consistency checker, then upgraded to 0.95.1, and it's working again.

Lucky me.  Something must have gone wrong and corrupted the DB in my first attempt.  Might be something to look at, because i followed the instructions exactly and it still went wrong, but all is working for me now.

Offline watcher

« Reply #8 on: 10 07 2014, 09:39:47 »
omniwolf, Might be something to look at - exactly. We are thinking about making whole process safer. We'll think of something. Thanks for the report.
Please read forum rules.