Author Topic: compressing profile backups  (Read 3752 times)

Offline mida

compressing profile backups
« on: 21 06 2014, 19:18:01 »
My Miranda makes backups from profile when Miranda starts and close.
But after a time it, my backups folder will much bigger and bigger.
i have found that winrar can massively pack it to a very small size with the dos command RAR.exe m -s -ep1 -m5 -md256 -scal -- "%cd%\AutoBackups\AutoBackups" AutoBackups\*.dat
it needs rar with minimal version 5.0 and my rar file have 854 profile files included that would extracted 7212MB but packed if have only 39,11MB
yes i know that nobody really needs there much backup files but on there compress rate it is for me indifferent

maybe if 7z can packed there much too, than it would be nice to integrated this as only zip format
« Last Edit: 21 06 2014, 19:21:11 by mida »
sorry for my bad english

Offline Wishmaster

Re: compressing profile backups
« Reply #1 on: 24 06 2014, 18:46:23 »
As long as you can do it with a bat file, I don't think it makes much sense to implement it into the core. It's really rare to have that much backup files.

Offline mida

Re: compressing profile backups
« Reply #2 on: 24 06 2014, 20:39:20 »
yes for my self its ok how it is but backup profile have a compress feature with zip function included and i know that there much backups is senseless
but maybe some user like the idea to compress own backups with this little size and if not it takes only a few Bytes on this forumsoftware  :)
sorry for my bad english

Offline Robyer

Re:compressing profile backups
« Reply #3 on: 25 06 2014, 12:02:45 »
but maybe some user like the idea to compress own backups with this little size

Do you know why it's compressed from 7212 MB to 39 MB? It's not because great compression of RAR. It's because you have 854 files that differs from each other only with few hundreds of kB. If you'll pack 100 almost same files, compression ratio would be more than 99%. But if you'll compress only one file, it would be maybe 30%.

So switching zip to rar or 7-zip makes no sense here.

I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.