Author Topic: Offline messages using Jabber/Google+  (Read 7396 times)

Offline kai_at_mir

Offline messages using Jabber/Google+
« on: 20 12 2014, 10:35:35 »
Hello,

using Miranda NG 0.95.3 to also access a Google+ account with Jabber.dll v.0.11.0.4, I found that everything works fine - except when a Google+ contact sends me a message while I'm offline. In that case, I do not get the message when going online with NG (wile this works fine in other protocols, such as ICQ, Facebook).

I first thought that might be an intrinsic problem of Google+, that you don't get any old unread messages, but people keep telling me that it works well for them with other clients.

Is this a known shortcoming of the jabber.dll implementation, or is there something I can do about it, maybe change some setting (I didn't find anything so far)?

Thanks for your help,
Kai

Offline watcher

Re: Offline messages using Jabber/Google+
« Reply #1 on: 20 12 2014, 15:18:38 »
Do you get this message on your phone on Hangauts app maybe?
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline kai_at_mir

« Reply #2 on: 20 12 2014, 15:23:00 »
I don't have any other app nor hardware connected to Google+.

So, no, I don't receive the messages elsewhere. When I log in to Google+ in the web browser, those messages appear as "unread", as they should be. Just if I first log in with NG, no message appears, which is a little bit unnerving.

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #3 on: 21 12 2014, 07:32:29 »
All works fine? As for me i can't see hangouts contacts online at all

Post Merge: 21 12 2014, 08:50:05
Offline messages on native gtalk client also arrive as gmail notifications, not as im messages. All you can do with miranda is add gtalkext plugin to check that mails
« Last Edit: 21 12 2014, 08:50:05 by Dimsok »

Offline kai_at_mir

« Reply #4 on: 21 12 2014, 09:15:44 »
Yes, hangout contacts that are online also appear in my contact list (including myself if I'm online in NG and from the Google webpage at the same time).

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #5 on: 21 12 2014, 09:42:27 »
Hm, i don't know why mine are seems like online always also i can message to him, They was appearead online (in away status) at first time when i add them, but after some time go off. Did you turn on google+ for your account. And which status for your conacts - away?

Offline kai_at_mir

« Reply #6 on: 21 12 2014, 10:06:49 »
I don't think I configured Google+ in any way - just registered a gmail address, and added it to the jabber account in NG, if I remember correctly.

My contacts appear "online" when they are online. (I cannot verify this right now, since none of my contacts are online at the moment, but I'm pretty sure.)

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #7 on: 21 12 2014, 16:10:36 »
How could it be? Native hangout doesn't support statuses. And all contacts are in list always

Offline kai_at_mir

« Reply #8 on: 22 12 2014, 15:17:37 »
 Hallo Dimsok,

sorry, but I'm not really sure what you are asking ... and not even whether you're asking me, directly, or whether it's a rhetorical question. Maybe it's a language problem.

All I can say is: Regardless of whether Google+ hangout support statuses or not, Miranda does display online contacts as online, and differentiate between them and offline contacts, without problem.

Sorry that this doesn't help you with your problem, all I can say is that it works fine for me... still, my own problem regarding offline messages remain, and I'm not even sure whether it's a bug, or whether it's simply a property of the NG Jabber protocol implementation.

Offline Dimsok

« Reply #9 on: 22 12 2014, 16:00:13 »
You can google and you will find that't the common problem of all gtalk clients. I have read about that in Miranda-IM too, that means that's not NG bug. Google preffer that their user use their native hangouts clients. If they just wanted to, they could fix that problem. Hangouts it's not the same as gtalk, so you can't get all feautures with gtalk

Offline watcher

« Reply #10 on: 22 12 2014, 17:08:29 »
kai_at_mir, can you provide a netlog? You can PM it to me if you don't want to show it publicly.
Пожалуйста, внимательно прочтите правила постинга перед тем, как открыть новую тему.
Please read forum rules.

Offline kai_at_mir

« Reply #11 on: 24 12 2014, 15:14:17 »
Sorry for the late reply. You know, Christmas time is forcing me to be AFK from time to time.  ;)

Dimsok, thanks for your input.
watcher, no problem, I can do so. I image it only make sense to generate this log in a szenario when I'm offline, someone sends me a Google+ message, them I'm going online, logging the whole  thing. Since at the moment, it's difficult to get someone else in front of a computer ^_^, and I think it's overkill to make a new Google+ account just for this purpose, I will do it later. But I'll definitely provide one (probably by PM) at a later time. Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline delerue

« Reply #12 on: 09 01 2015, 13:26:33 »
I second that. It's very annoying that we need to open Gmail to get offline messages sent through Gtalk/Google+.

When I use Hangout, however, I can see the messages sent offline, so there's a way to get them. If it's not possible/easy to detect which messages are new, maybe we could just sync history with the server, just like Facebook does. I don't know how hard is that. It's just a naive suggestion. :)
« Last Edit: 09 01 2015, 13:28:35 by delerue »

Offline pizzetta72

« Reply #13 on: 15 01 2015, 12:31:11 »
Hi all,
I have the same issue and also my colleagues that installed Miranda.
The main problem scenario is:
- Miranda accounts A and B are both OnLine
- Internet connection related to account B is lost
- Miranda show again that account B is OnLine (not true)
- account A send to account B a message (due account B is showed as OnLine)
- the incoming message is not received by account B because he's offline, and such messages are definitively lost because are NEVER retrieved when account B came back OnLine.

The only way to retrieve the lost messages is open directly GMail account, open the chat box and the old messages are there.

The problem is not present using HangOuts PC software (the lost messages are correctly retrieved).... :'(

Offline pizzetta72

« Reply #14 on: 04 02 2015, 10:59:15 »
No news from this issue?