Author Topic: Facebook protocol  (Read 360261 times)

Offline xaos

Facebook protocol
« on: 16 01 2014, 22:35:47 »
Excellent plugin .. I use it exclusively for chat on facebook, and rarely ever visit the website itself.

Just recently however, during a time of high bandwidth usage, (by someone else in the house) , the plugin failed to retrieve several new messages. Within the 5 hour interval the plugin hadn't appeared to have gone offline or stopped responding in any fashion, and only after I signed out and signed back in, via MirandaNG, did the it retrieve the messages.

I do have KeepStatus set to notify on connection issues and it didn't seem to have notified anything either.

Depending on what it is that might have caused that to happen, perhaps an option to check for unread messages could be added to the protocols' 'Services' menu as well.

Also, if there's still any hidden DB options, a list of those would be appreciated too.
« Last Edit: 11 03 2015, 20:29:35 by Wishmaster »

Offline Robyer

Re: Facebook plugin
« Reply #1 on: 17 01 2014, 18:44:20 »
Hi, xaos, I'm glad you like Facebook plugin :)

1) I bet it was messages from people who aren't in your friends list - that messages which are in "Other" folder on Facebook, right? If so, they are not received because Facebook won't inform Miranda about these messages anymore. I guess they want more people to use their paid feature to send messages directly to user's "Inbox" instead of "Other" folder. But it may be also temporary problem (hopefully).

And yes, adding that item into status menu / services might be useful (added to my todo list) :)

2) Hidden options are mentioned in readme, which you can find here (I think they are not downloaded via Plugin Updater): http://svn.miranda-ng.org/miranda-ng/trunk/protocols/FacebookRM/docs/facebook%20-%20readme.txt
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline xaos

« Reply #2 on: 17 01 2014, 22:34:52 »
I suppose I should have mentioned that .. the messages were from a contact on my facebook friends list, and they did appear in my inbox on facebook as unread. They just didn't get picked up by Miranda until after I'd signed the facebook protocol offline then back online.

As for the "Other" folder, they must have changed the filter behavior just recently, as all messages I've received from people not on my friends list have always gone to my inbox on facebook.

<shrug> quirks .. hopefully that's all it was. Otherwise everything else seems to be working properly.

Thanx for the link to the readme, and for considering the suggestion.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #3 on: 18 01 2014, 16:07:31 »
Well if it happens only when high bandwidth usage, then it's understandable. Could you capture a Miranda's network log when it happens?
I was developing mainly Facebook, Omegle, Steam, Dummy and MobileState plugins. Now I'm retired. Goodbye, everyone. ~ You can still find me on Facebook.

Offline xaos

« Reply #4 on: 18 01 2014, 22:44:33 »
Capturing a log when/if it happens again would be nearly impossible as the timing would have to be perfect for a whole bunch of things that I can't control.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #5 on: 19 01 2014, 09:19:54 »
Then let that logging enabled (only for Facebook protocol) until it happens again. (and if it don't happen, delete regularly network log file so it won't get too big). If it's hard to reproduce, then it's even harder to fix it or do something about it.

Offline Lukysh

Re:Facebook plugin
« Reply #6 on: 23 01 2014, 09:55:10 »
Hello,

I use facebook only as a chat, so your plugin is probably only reason why I still have facebook account :)) So thank you, great work!

Just one suggestion: Would it be possible to select the users for which I'll be visible in chat? Or FB API doesn't allow it?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #7 on: 23 01 2014, 14:36:28 »
Lukysh: Hi, this feature is already in my TODO list, but I don't know when I will have time and mood to actually implement it :-)

Offline M51

« Reply #8 on: 23 01 2014, 14:59:19 »
What about the "seen" notification (that confirms that the other person has read you message)? Would it be possible to implement that one?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #9 on: 23 01 2014, 15:59:33 »
M51: ??? it was done few months ago.

Offline M51

« Reply #10 on: 23 01 2014, 19:43:41 »
M51:  it was done few months ago.

Huh? Do I have to enable it somewhere, or something? Because it's not showing up.

Offline Robyer

« Reply #11 on: 24 01 2014, 10:15:56 »
M51: It is showed in window's statusbar. Make sure you have it visible.

Offline M51

« Reply #12 on: 24 01 2014, 20:06:51 »
Thanks.  :)

Offline KalterGrog

« Reply #13 on: 28 01 2014, 19:36:21 »
lo,
since the last update, "on the phone"-contacts are treated as offline. Can this be changed back, and if so, where?

Offline Robyer

« Reply #14 on: 28 01 2014, 20:39:31 »
KalterGrog: Hi, no, they are treated correctly right now.

1) Miranda's status OnThePhone is now used only for contact's which are ONLINE on mobile phone.
2) Contacts that were previously marked as OnThePhone, was in fact offline, but facebook marks them as on mobile because they used Mobile client once (or before they signed off). They are now correctly marked as offline.

But in last version there is new factor that gives you this info - Client ID. Use plugin MobileState to show mobile icon next to contact's name in clist for such contacts.